Skip to content
As a beginner, shou...

Notifications
Clear all

As a beginner, should I practice with just 1 guitar?

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@vinniex)
Topic starter  

First post here, and I'm real new to learning guitar, but I own more than one. As a beginner, should I practice with just one guitar exclusively? Or is it OK to jump from axe to axe?

If the answer is that a beginner is better served sticking with one guitar until proficiency is built, then what criterion should be used to select the one to use for now?

The easiest action? The one that sounds like I am playing it smoother? The one that has a fingerboard that is a bit of a hard stretch near the nut from fret 1 to 4? (I'm thinking that this stretching might be better exercise for getting fingers into shape. Incidentally, the guitar that is the more difficult stretch near the nut is the one that it seems like my playing flows smoother on for the most part.) Or should it be the one that fits my body better?

I have these guitars:

1.) An antique acoustic that is really just an attractive decorative collector item because of the pretty wood - this guitar maybe shouldn't be played and I have no intention to play it.

2.) A Fernandes Nomad Deluxe - it's way packed with special electronic effects and gizmos, and when I hit the road its compact size and built-in speaker means it really is a go anywhere electric guitar. It is a versatile little instrument. During the learning phase, I don't want all of the electronics to get in the way of my learning guitar tones and their relation to one another, so I set it up for clean studio tones.

3.) A Japanese Fender Pink Paisley Stratocaster - I absolutely love this thing! And not just because the ex-hippy in me digs the paisley! It has awesome tones, stays in tune, and it feels good to just touch it and look at it. I'm in some ways afraid to use it for fear of dinging it, though. But not so much that the fear of dings overcomes wanting to play it.

The amp I use when playing either of those guitars is one of those little 15 watt Crate practice amps. It isn't one of those amps with special built in effects and I'm not using any pedals like wah-wah and such, because as I said earlier I don't want special effects between me and the true sounds of the guitar.

Anyway I'm more interested in electric guitar than acoustic and want to get good enough to play lead, although eventually I'll probably want an acoustic guitar someday, too. I hope that I didn't go on an on too much here, but I wanted to present as much info as possible for people that have advice about this question. Thanks!

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Play whatever you enjoy the most.
I see no problem with switching around either.
The biggest hurdle when learning is staying interested and keeping it fun.
What is the point of learning to play if you don't enjoy it.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

^ I agree with missleman. BTW welocme to guitarnoise! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Actually, switching back and forth between the acoustic and electric may be better than playing just on. Get you used to different neck widths, actions ect.

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I personally like switching back and forth. It's kind of like taking a vacation from one to go to the other.

Since fretting tends to be easier on an electric I like to practice new chords or chord progressions on the electric until I am comfortable with them then when I go to the acoustic it seems easier even if it is a little harder to press the strings. I like to practice strumming on the acoustic since I don't have to even think about how the electronics are set.

Ahhh but the best reason to have both is they just sound so different and some songs are better on one or the other. And like missileman says keep it fun and switching around does that.

And in the end the most important thing to remember is "you can never have too many guitars"

OH yeah, welcome to GN and enjoy your stay

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

You seem a little obsessed about not getting anything between you and the "purity" of the music. I'd say you can probably ease off that mentality a little bit. One of the cool things about guitar (especially electric) is that it's so easy to mold the sound, you can do lots of nifty things with it, and the more things you do, well... it's not a bad thing.

When I first got going, I was sort of in the same boat as you are, I didn't play with any effects at all for about my first 6 months. In my case, I couldn't afford anything at the time, but I would predict a similar result for you: I couldn't control effects. I found it impossible to control medium/high gain, I wasn't used to the sustain, the added harmonics, etc.

So yeah, my advice would be to rotate through, get your mind and body used to switching and handling the instruments differently. Crank up the distortion occasionally, just for the fun of it!

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@vinniex)
Topic starter  

Before I posted, I read a number of threads and one thing that struck me is how nice people are here and help is available just for the asking. You all make a new guy feel welcome.

And I'll switch from guitar to guitar as I go, which seems to be the consensus opinion. And I can see how that can build versatility.

Undercat, I follow what you are saying, but since I've only been at it a little over a month, I feel like I'm still learning to crawl - let alone being able to walk or run yet! I have explored some of the effects on the Fernandes just for fun, but some of them are so extreme it's difficult to keep track of the notes you are playing. But it is fun - big time! But when I'm seriously trying to learn the basics, I think I will leave that stuff out for now. Maybe in another month or two I'll start to run some of my scale exercises, speed licks, and such with some of those effects cranked on just to get a better feel for them.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Anyone's welcome at Guitarnoise.....ask a question and people will queue up to reply and help....

In the eighteen months I've been here, I've gone from mediocre to fairly average....more importantly, I'm understanding the why as well as the how....

I have 7 guitars....2 Squier Electrics, a strat and a tele, tend to swap between them as the mood takes me....an avalanche 12-string and an encore 6-string acoustic....a Freshman Bass....an old hondo 6-string acoustic held together with duct tape that I've raised the action on and use for slide....and a 3/4 size nylon-strung classical which I bought for my granddaughter. Sort of a middle ground between quality and variety.... these days I find the more I play, the more I want to play!!!!

You'll find you have phases where you will concentrate on one guitar....when I bought the Tele, I bought the 12-string and the bass at the same time but only really touched the tele for about 2 weeks.... but being a total beginner on bass, I have to discipline myself to practise it for at least an hour every day....

Anyway.....whatever you decide to play....good luck and have fun!!!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@mitchell)
Eminent Member

I've only been playing about 4 months and I have both an electric and acoustic(ibanez GSA60, and an alvarez acoustic). I tend to play both. I really like to learn new chords/songs on the acoustic then move to the electric, mainly cause it feels like my fingers are flying. Of course it's based on mood too. I got both at the same time and tend to put in equal time on them.

I've been takeing lessons for about a month now and the best thing i've got out of it is the use of a metronome. That little thing is amazing. I thought I had a decent internal beat until i started to use the metronome. Do your self a favor and get one straight away.

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

Hi and welcome

I personally have only 3 guitars but back to your post I say master your acustic anything mastered on that can be played on the others .

Mind you jumping from to the other won't hurt you can not muck anything up by swapping your guitars .

just my old point of view

:wink:

cheers

L.K :arrow:

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
(@vinniex)
Topic starter  

After reading what some of you said about using acoustic guitar actually helping you be better at electric, it inspired me to go to the store. So I added an Ovation Balladeer to the collection. :shock:

I consider it a good move on my part. For a few days I practiced soley on this guitar. Then just for grins, I plugged in the Strat. I was absolutely amazed at how much faster my fingers were able to go on the electric after just a few days on the Ovation! Wow! Thanks, all, for that advice.

ReplyQuote