Clear all

avoiding hitting unwanted strings on fast chord strums

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@patrick)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have some difficulty avoiding the unwanted strings, especially during partial chords strummed quickly and especially in alternate fasion (like the three-string D and A chords in the main riff in Back In Black). Where possible I use a finger to lightly touch and mute the adjacent higher string, and my thumb can easily wrap around to mute the low E string. But the other stings sometimes get sounded a bit. This can really dirty the sound.

Is this normal and just takes a LOT of time and practice to be able to hit the three strings with enough precision to strike only the wanted ones?

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

it is kind of both. accuracy comes with familiarity. a bit of string or palm damping or muting helps.
and then the nature of a power chord gives you a bit of slack because it is vibrating so hard and filled with drive the unwanted things get covered up.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

(like the three-string D and A chords in the main riff in Back In Black). Sometimes it is seemingly easy stuff that can throw you. I know exactly what you mean by hitting the other strings, but I know that in a relatively short period of time, my accuracy improved in this area. If I kept hitting the wall with it, I would move on to something else & come back to it later. I believe it is good to give your fingers & mind a break when you have probs. with something like this, otherwise you begin to tense up.

In the beginning, I actually noticed that I was tensing my jaw to the point that it was aching a couple hrs. later. I didn't even realize I was that tense. That is when I started to mix up my playing more, i.e., little riffs/short solos/ tapping, etc., then back to the chording, & I started to improve from there. It will happen soon enough, & you will be flying thru those chord changes!

Good Luck! :)

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Another Tip? If I can offer one?

Are you trying to play the song to fast too soon?
There is nothing wrong with taking the tempo down a few notches so you can accurately make those chord changes.

Then once your fingers get their muscle memory and touch honed in, speed it back up to original tempo.

To quote my first instructor:

"Its better to play the song slow and right, than fast and wrong."

That was his mantra and it has always stuck with me.

Just a thought :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Another Tip? If I can offer one?

To quote my first instructor:

"Its better to play the song slow and right, than fast and wrong."

+1 and,

Its better to practice first slowly and then play it at the right speed.

ReplyQuote