Can't understand tab for Teenage Kicks

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@wasted_dreams)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello,

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but i'd like to learn "Teenage Kicks" by the Undertones but am really confused by the diagram on the site.

I can read tab, but this is laid out really weird with strange lines at the top and basically I wondered if someone could help me out a bit...

http://www.guitaretab.com/u/undertones/20043.html

Thanks.

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Are those lines a strumming pattern?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@wasted_dreams)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Are those lines a strumming pattern?

Going by the persons description, I think they're supposed to be.
Don't understand them though.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

They're meant to be the rhythm for the strumming. Like many online tabs, it's wrong. In fact, like many tabs, it's wrong in a lot of ways...

I've got to run out to teach, so I don't have time to list all the errors. But here are some biggies:

1. They don't play barre chords - the O'Neills are just doing power chords in that tune, except for a few measures after the chorus and the first measure of the outro

2. The tab is in the wrong key - it's a half step (one fret) too high

3. The chord names are a joke. That first one - D# - would be Eb if the key was right; since it's not, it's just D, played as a power chord.

4. The chord forms are wrong; don't play the power chords based on the A string; move up to the 10th fret and use the E form

5. Here's the rhythm:

1 2 3 & 4 & (1) & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 2 3 & 4 & (1) & 2 & 3 & 4 & etc.

Pretty basic - quarter notes & eighths, with a little bit of syncopation to start every other measure

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@wasted_dreams)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

They're meant to be the rhythm for the strumming. Like many online tabs, it's wrong. In fact, like many tabs, it's wrong in a lot of ways...

I've got to run out to teach, so I don't have time to list all the errors. But here are some biggies:

1. They don't play barre chords - the O'Neills are just doing power chords in that tune, except for a few measures after the chorus and the first measure of the outro

2. The tab is in the wrong key - it's a half step (one fret) too high

3. The chord names are a joke. That first one - D# - would be Eb if the key was right; since it's not, it's just D, played as a power chord.

4. The chord forms are wrong; don't play the power chords based on the A string; move up to the 10th fret and use the E form

5. Here's the rhythm:

1 2 3 & 4 & (1) & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 2 3 & 4 & (1) & 2 & 3 & 4 & etc.

Pretty basic - quarter notes & eighths, with a little bit of syncopation to start every other measure

Thanks for that.
I've found a better one I think, just the chords though not the tab:
http://www.tabpower.com/s31954.html

If I can make sense of the strumming pattern I could maybe have a bash at it this weekend.
Quite new to strumming patterns so am not really sure at the moment when to strum, and what the brackets mean but hopefully I can find something on this site/forum about it.

EDIT: Is the strumming d d d u d u - u d u d u d u d d d u d - u d u d u d u
Where d=down, u=up and -=miss?

ReplyQuote