B chord problems

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 GWR
(@gwr)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Is it just me, or is the B chord really this tough to do? Maybe it's my stubby fingers, but I can't get my 3rd finger bent back enough to to play the a,g,b strings (4th fret) without interfering with the high e string; even though I can't get my 1st finger to play the high e at the 2nd fret because it falls on a "fleshy" part of the finger. I can get each finger to do thier part separately, but not both at once. Eye carumba!!! I'm starting to "sneak" my pinky in on the b string and not playing the low e and a strings and getting something that sounds acceptable. PS, I'm trying to learn Locomotive Breath.

G W Roach (Don't BUG me while I'm practicing!)

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

The B chord gives lots of players problems at first, so you are not alone. The Bb chord at the 1st fret is even tougher. :D

Myself, I play the chord like this most of the time:

e------------
b------------
g---4p-------
d---4r-------
a---2i-------
e------------

i= index finger
r= ring finger
p= pinky finger

This is actually a B5 chord because it only contains the Root and 5th. But this will sound fine on this song, in fact it will sound better than the entire chord on electric with overdrive or distortion. In the meantime, still practice to barre the B, G, and D strings with your ring finger. In time you will get it, we all struggled with this chord at first.

By the way, I posted a very easy tab for this song sometime back, here it is.

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=27917

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@yournightmare)
Estimable Member

It's not just you, it tough for the majority of people when they first start learning barres, just like Wes said. Just keep doing it and you'll get it, don't worry.

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Yep, a tough one at first. B, B minor, and F gave me some issues at first. But, if you practice pretty much everyday, or at least as often as you can, it will come in a relatively short period of time, I believe. I had the best results by just strumming chord progressions & throwing the B Chords in there, getting used to the fingering.

Don't force it, you may end up "tensing" up & getting stiff fingers - I did!

Good Luck! :)

ReplyQuote
 GWR
(@gwr)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'll keep at it for sure. I once thought I'd never get C or F, I do now! (strummy version House of the Rising Sun)

G W Roach (Don't BUG me while I'm practicing!)

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

You'll get it man. Just keep your hands loose, like others have already said. Stay loose, and like with the F chord it'll take time to come to you.

ReplyQuote
(@beaner)
Estimable Member

I've seen plenty of guys who just mute the high e string, and don't worry about it. That's okay isn't it?

Regards,
Paul

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

This is the "a" shaped barre chord, right? You could also use your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fingers to fret the three strings separately. I find it easier to do that than the ring finger barre version, especially that low on the fretboard.

Also, try rotating your index finger so the side of it (the side opposite the other fingers) hits the strings. Less fleshy parts there.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I've seen plenty of guys who just mute the high e string, and don't worry about it. That's okay isn't it?

Yes. By muting the highest note (first string) you're muting the B. Well, as long as you're playing a B (and you are) with other fingers you're good.

Also, as Wes noted his fingering for the B5 chord you can actually hit the 2nd string open because it's also a B note. Still a power chord but an extra B added.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote