Clear all

B minor Chord...

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@superman37876)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice... I am having real problems with the B minor chord. I now the finger placement, but I cannot change from say a C or G to a B minor without having to stop and put my fingers on the chords. In my mind I can visualize where they go, but they just don't want to go there with a smooth transition...

I was hoping someone could give some advice on improving my speed of the B minor chord. It's just kinda frustrating right now though...

(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Agreed, it is frustrating! I stumbled thru this chord for awhile. Eventually I got better with it, just like G minor. In my case, I practiced playing chord progressions slowly, & worked the B minor in. I practiced doing that just a few minutes each day, (maybe 15 min.) & in a couple weeks time, I had it down.

Hope that helps! :)

Oh yeah, & try to relax, don't tense up, it will make it harder!

ReplyQuote
(@superman37876)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Agreed, it is frustrating! I stumbled thru this chord for awhile. Eventually I got better with it, just like G minor. In my case, I practiced playing chord progressions slowly, & worked the B minor in. I practiced doing that just a few minutes each day, (maybe 15 min.) & in a couple weeks time, I had it down.

Hope that helps! :)

Oh yeah, & try to relax, don't tense up, it will make it harder!

It's hard not to tense up. I've just started playing guitar and think I still have a death grip on it, lol.

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

It's hard not to tense up. I've just started playing guitar and think I still have a death grip on it, lol.I know it, believe me! I mentioned on here before; when I started trying to learn sweep picking & other metal styles, I was really tensing up bad. My jaw was hurting afterwards & I didn't realize that I was clenching my teeth, I was so tight.

I learned to loosen up a bit, take some breaks while practicing & things went smoother from there on out. I did have to make a conscious effort not to tighten up, I guess it is something many beginners struggle with. That is where a good teacher can be very helpful, to point out those things that we are not aware of.

ReplyQuote
(@superman37876)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

It's hard not to tense up. I've just started playing guitar and think I still have a death grip on it, lol.I know it, believe me! I mentioned on here before; when I started trying to learn sweep picking & other metal styles, I was really tensing up bad. My jaw was hurting afterwards & I didn't realize that I was clenching my teeth, I was so tight.

I learned to loosen up a bit, take some breaks while practicing & things went smoother from there on out. I did have to make a conscious effort not to tighten up, I guess it is something many beginners struggle with. That is where a good teacher can be very helpful, to point out those things that we are not aware of.

I'm going to a teacher, but he hasn't pointed anything out about me being tense while playing. Maybe I do not do it when I'm at my music lesson, lol. Right now it's kind of frustrating because I only know really what he's told me to play thus far and there's so much I want to do and play, but I guess that takes time. lol. Now if I can conquer the B minor chord... :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

How's your F barre shaping up? and your C to F change? If that's better than your Bm, you could concentrate on that change for a while, as the F and Bm barre shapes are a similar finger pattern. Dunno, just a thought ;)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@superman37876)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Never really thought about barring the F chord, but I looked that chord up and saw like you said it was very similar to the b minor chord.

ReplyQuote