Clear all

B minor

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm finding this one a bit of a bugger to change to quickly, more so than the B7, which really used to scare me. Maybe cause it does not have many common notes with the major chords and minor chords I am used to.

I'm fingering the simple way without the note on the “A” string. Repetition does not seem to be helping much, or visualization or forming the chord during change. On this chord particularly I find it hard not to plant the index finger on the high “E” then follow with the rest thus slowing the change.

Any tips on this one? If “keep plugging away some day it will come” is the answer, I can deal with that.

Thanks folks.

lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

"keep plugging away some day it will come"- obviously some truth to that.

However if you're desperat for a bminor just now - maybe the easiest way is to form a std. D chord and add your pinky on the 4th fret on the 4th string (f#) - well at least that's a bm7 - worth a try huh?

(since you're obviously not into barres I'm assuming you don't have the strength to fret both the 3rd and the 4th string with your pinky - that gives a bm - add 2nd fret on 5th and 6th string with your thumb, and we have invented an extremely complicated way of not using barre chords for bm :wink: )

Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

You are correct, barre chords are a little(lot?) beyond me right now. I will see how the Bm7 sounds.

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Try fretting an A minor chord with your middle, ring, and pinky fingers, and then just sliding this form up two frets, either fretting the high E string with your index, or fretting all six strings for a barre with your index finger.

Am Bm Bm with barre

e---0-------2i------2i----------
b---1m------3m------3m----------
g---2p------4p------4p----------
d---2r------4r------4r----------
a---0---------------2i----------
e-------------------2i----------

This should help in several ways. First, it will reverse the habit of going to the index finger first. Second, this will help you learn barres. Sooner or later you will want to learn barres, this is as good a place to start as any, especially because the B minor chord is very common and used frequently.

It is also a trick of guitarists to play home chords with their last three fingers allowing the index finger to be free for a barre. This allows you to go from home or open chords to barre chords very easily and quickly. Try it, I think you'll like it. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote