9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 bohh
(@bohh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey all,

I've been playing the guitar for a little while now and I'm noticing that I've been playing a lot of stuff on Kirk's site. I notice he plays a classical guitar in a lot of his videos and I thought I'd go try one out at the store.

And wow! I love the sound of the classical guitars, for the things I'm currently playing they sound so much better on the classicals. My problem is that there seems to be flamenco classicals and regular classical guitars. Now, I'm not sure which to get. I'd like to continue playing what I've been playing (for example "here there and everywhere" and "classical gas" [struggling at that one]) but I'd like to keep my options open to explore other types of music without limiting myself. There's a flamenco teacher in my city and mabye I'd like to try that style - I'm not sure.

I just don't want to be limited in my choice as I'm still new and don't know just where I want to go yet.

What's the differences between the two types of guitars - can I play classical on a flamenco? How about Flamenco on a classical?

I'm not sure what music like here there and everywhere is classified under but would one of the guitars be better for music like that?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Mike

Guitarjourney.net - Everything I've learned and want to learn, including chord diagrams and other information.

bohh
(@bohh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I think I've found a nice flamenco guiar. I hope classical music will sound ok on it, if anyone can reassure me it would be much appriciated.

Thank you.

Mike

Guitarjourney.net - Everything I've learned and want to learn, including chord diagrams and other information.

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Huh - is there really a difference between them?

:?: :?: :?:
Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

I looked this up in the Guitarist Handbook by Ralph Denyer. It says the Flamenco guitars are modified classicals and have a slighlty sharper sound. Classicals have a mellower sound and some Flamenco players prefer the cladssical for that reason.

Now how well this holds up in the lower end models I have no idea.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
 bohh
(@bohh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey thanks for the replies.

I was also suprised to find out there are two types of classicals. Just something more to decide about :( lol. Anyway I read that like Primeta said they have a more "punchy" sound along with less sustain. The Flamencos also have lower action and thinner wood and finish. I"m just not sure if the characteristics of a flamenco will be detrimental to the type of music I want to play.

Like I said, I want a guitar that will let me explore the genres.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

I found the other difference that was nagging at me, the Flamenco has clear tap plates for golpe strokes, whatever they are :?

Really at this stage, I think you'll be okay either way. Though you'll probably end up with both if you enjoy both styles of music. It just seems to happen :P

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
 bohh
(@bohh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ahh those things. I read that those are for when you use the guitar as a drum. Apparently the flamenco players tap the top of the guitar with thier fingernails between strums or something and it can wreck the finish without the cover there.

Jeez why does there have to be so many differences lol.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

The construction of 'classical' and 'flamenco' guitars is basically the same. The differences are pretty subtle:

- flamenco guitars are fitted with one or two golpeadores (tap plates). They always have one on the treble side of the strings, and they often have a second on the bass side... some have one big plate that extends to both sides, cut out for the soundhole.

- flamenco guitars are traditionally made out of Spanish cypress, at least for the back and sides. Classical guitars usually use some type of rosewood. The reason is more tradition than sound - flamenco came about in a very small region, and Spanish cypress was the local wood.l

- The action on a flamenco guitar is much lower. Bridge saddles are short, and the strings often rattle against the fretboard. That's not such a factor in a musical style with so much percussive tapping and heavy strumming going on.

- Older flamenco guitars (and a few modern ones) don't have tuning machines. They use pressure-fit ebony pegs like violins do.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

My wife just happened to put a Montoya album on the other day, and I was again struck by how brilliant the guy was! All those rhythms and counter-rhythms, the scales, and what's more...the feel!

Amazing stuff.

To all non-flamenco people, he's "The Other Carlos".

Flamenco is a whole world onto itself though - that's true. It's a style that's a solo style, but based on accompaniment - of the dance.

But...back to the actual instrument....

ReplyQuote