Clear all

B Sharp Minor

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@mkbutler)
Topic starter  

Any guesses on how to finger a B#m?

One of my favorite guitar players took the trouble to send me the chords for one of the songs on a CD he released. It's not really that hard with the exception of one chord. I can't get the sound of that chord off the recording and what he sent me is confusing. I try to make it work with a Cm and Bbm but neither sounds right. What he sent below.

Verse E -A-E-E-B7-A-E-D---A---E
I leave the house......
Chorus A---E---A---B7---E---A---B#m---F#-D-A-E

The King of......

Outro D---A---E

The song is "King of Last Call" by Steve Larson.

Thanks for the help

MArk B.

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

B# minor is enharmonic to C minor:

So the notes you need are B#(C), D#(Eb), F## (G)

The easiest way to play a B#- chord is: x31010

Another fingering is: x3554x or x35543

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

The easiest way to play a B#- chord is: x31010

I think that's a typo - if Dave means B#m, then you don't want to play the high E string, so make it X3101X

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

You are correct. x instead of 0 on the high E

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I almost had a heart attack when I saw "B#m." In my world I would only think of it as Cm. I've never tried playing the open position chord as specified above rather the barre chord version.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Umm, I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but....

First the song is very, very clearly in E, with a brief foray into A for the chorus (which is possibly the most common and traditional key change in music):
Verse E -A-E-E-B7-A-E-D---A---E
I leave the house......
Chorus A---E---A---B7---E---A---B#m---F#-D-A-E

Second, B#m (Cm) makes no sense in the context of the song, but Bm does. Perfect sense in fact.

Are you sure this isn't simply a typo and he simply meant Bm?

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote