Notifications
Clear all

Bad Habit I've Got

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@redhotukm)
Topic starter  

How can I get out of this habit ? I am fairly new to guitar, I have learned about 8 chords, but when I am strumming I tend to strum the syllables in the words eg Beautiful Noise , I would strum Beau ti ful Noise DUD for beautiful and down for Noise, and continue in that vain through the whold song, I have read all about strumming patterns, but does that not make all the songs sound the same if for loads of songs you strum DDU UDD? etc etc
Sorry if this sounds thick but I would really appreciate some help Thank You

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

First, welcome to GN - ey up, another Northern lad!

I find it helps, when I'm trying to learn a new song, to strum along with the CD - I try and get the approximate strumming pattern right, by focussing on the guitar rather than the lyrics. Then, and only then, I'll try the vocals. It's important to remember though, when you're following a strumming pattern, to keep your strumming hand moving rhythmically - down, up, down, up, down, up, etc, only hitting the strings when you need to. Like anything else to do with guitar, it's hard at first, but with practise, eventually it'll come together.

Good luck!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@redhotukm)
Topic starter  

First, welcome to GN - ey up, another Northern lad!

I find it helps, when I'm trying to learn a new song, to strum along with the CD - I try and get the approximate strumming pattern right, by focussing on the guitar rather than the lyrics. Then, and only then, I'll try the vocals. It's important to remember though, when you're following a strumming pattern, to keep your strumming hand moving rhythmically - down, up, down, up, down, up, etc, only hitting the strings when you need to. Like anything else to do with guitar, it's hard at first, but with practise, eventually it'll come together.

Good luck!

:D :D :D
Thank You very much Vic :D I will try your suggestion and I am sure it will help :) and as for Northern lad you would be surprised how close I am to you - Leigh :D once again thanks a lot Vic
Vic

ReplyQuote
(@iliketheguitar)
Estimable Member

Ya, I can't even talk/sing when I play the guitar.

I'd stick to the guitar part of the song first until you get it like Vic said and then get the lyrics in there.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Ya, I can't even talk/sing when I play the guitar.

I'd stick to the guitar part of the song first until you get it like Vic said and then get the lyrics in there.
Yea. When I first started learning how to play little things, any little noise would mess me up. But now, maybe I can listen to someone talk, and say a few words back.

Stick to the guitar part first, then slowly put the lyrics over it.

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

After a while you won't even notice the words. In the beginning its sort of hard to hear all of the different parts but as time goes on you can distinguish between them easier. Most easy songs use the same strum pattern throughout the song, they may also change it up a bit during the chorus. If you're having trouble just put a part on repeat until you think you've got it. Its one of those things you won't even notice you got better at.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I believe Nick wrote an article or two on this subject, look for "singing while playing" or, actually, I believe the article is called "If I only had another brain"

https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/if-i-only-had-another-brain/

There she blows.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

sorry- double post

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member

Yep, I had the same problem. Playing the words. Try getting the rhythm and chord progression down solid before singing along. Cold and mechanical as it seems, you have to be able to play the rhythm without thinking about it. Get it down solid then lay the words on it. Then you will get to a place where you can start to do fun things with the rhythm like syncopation and different accents.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Keep working and you will get it. I can play and sing without any problem at all. My singing sounds just as bad as if I were singing while someone else was playing. :lol: But the timing is there. Where can I buy a better voice? What I find trickey is covering a band that the singer doesn't play an instrument. Then it gets tough on occasion.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

How can I get out of this habit ? I am fairly new to guitar, I have learned about 8 chords, but when I am strumming I tend to strum the syllables in the words eg Beautiful Noise , I would strum Beau ti ful Noise DUD for beautiful and down for Noise

I did that when I first started out. Nothing to worry about, you soon get used to working out strum patterns.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@redhotukm)
Topic starter  

Thanks very much to all who have replied you have given me some great ideas which I will persevere with, and thanks for taking the trouble to help :D

ReplyQuote