Clear all

Bar chords down the neck

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@twisted_man)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

When i play a barr chord of E on the first fret (F) its no problem. But when i move down the neck to lets say the 10th fret (D) its hard to fit my fingers in there to make the right sound. Same with A barr chords. I can do close to the nut good but the farther down the neck (closer to my right hand), its harder to get three fingers on the same fret like anywhere from 7th fret to 12th. I heard about when playing A barr chords you take your ring finger and create a bar across the B, D, and G strings but thats hard for me to do. I play on an electric too. Any suggestions.

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I use whatever fingers I need to, to create the chord or sound I want. There really isn't any right and wrong what to finger chords. Use what works best and is easiest for you.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

jam them in there.

remember they all donot have to line up evenly.
I fret quite a ways behind the fret wire; things sound fine.

dont sweat the littlest imperfections as a best effort barre chord sounds good amplified.
(the proper notes overpower the puny ones.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@pkrider)
Trusted Member

On the "A" bar chord I use my ring finger to bar the d,G b strings. You just hafta train your finger to do it. I dedicated a couple years of doing nothing but the bar chords and now they come easy. Start with the "A" shape on the 3rd fret (a C chord) and use your ring finger to press the 3 strings down. At first you'll feel as if you're ging to break your finger, but after awhile you'll train teh finger and gain flexibility. The 3rd fret A shaped C is a good fret to learn on cuz you have a bit of room, and once you master that technique the other fret positions come easier. On that "E" shaped d chord up on the 10th fret, try a power chord to start whereby you're just pressing the A string with your ring finger. Next, gain a back beat by using your pinky to hit the A string on the 11th and 12th frets. Alot of 12 bar blues gain the back beat using this technique.

Keep it up.. you'll get there!

PK

ReplyQuote