Clear all

Barre chord (E shape)

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@cubone)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I know theres been a gazillion threads about barre chords so I apologize for making another.

I can get the 5 string minor chord (Am shape) with every string ringing clearly. For some reason the 6 string E shaped majorchord

just wont ring on every string. All the strings ring cleary except one, the b-string in standard tuning, witch is completly muted. Do you think the muted string will come to life as soon as I've buildt up som strength in my fingers? I understand that I will have to put some serious effort into learning to use the barrechords with speed and accuracy. But I don't want to start training to hard on getting the chord up to speed if I risk developing a bad major barre chord with one string muted.

I've tried turning the barre finger to make different sides of the finger press the strings but allways with the same result.

English is not my first language so I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Your finger isn't flat, it has at least two depressions (at each knuckle), so don't worry. The chances are that you are getting the wrong part of your finger on the B string. Start by trying to get the strings to ring clearly by only using your index finger. Try rolling the finger slightly to the outside (thumb side) - experiment with different finger positions (your finger may just be too close to the fret).
What you must avoid is pressing too hard.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@cubone)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Finaly got it! :D

I just sat down and concentrated on how I positioned my fingers. My problem wasn't the rotation of the indexfinger it was the thumb who was the villian. I just lowered the thumb slightly and now I can get a full barre chord with allmost now pressure at all. So now all I have to do is get it upp to speed but thats just really a matter of repetetive training (and alot of it).

I have been playing the guitar for about 2½ years but I haven't really learned anything new since I learnd the basic open chords. Sure I have developed a great feel for rythmic and timing by playing songs with theese chords but really nothing new. So a couple of weeks ago I decided it was time to take my playing to a new level and now I got the barre chords going. I have just as much joy and inspiration as the first time I managed to play a song from beginning to end.

I know some of you youngsters out there where playing full barre chords after just a couple of months. But when your 25 and working full time it just takes a bit longer becouse of the lack of time.

English is not my first language so I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I tell you that barre chords are easy for no one and all of us have to go through the struggle to get them.Now the real deal is to learn to shift between the Open and Barre chords.

Keep doing it.

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

I had very good feed back when I asked questions on Barre Chords

click on the link it's very helpful

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19315

hope this answers alot of your questions

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

I had very good feed back when I asked questions on Barre Chords

click on the link it's very helpful

hope this answers alot of your questions

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

click on the following link I started a very informative discussion on this subjuct last year

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Yeah, or just click on one of Hilch's three links. LOL Teasin ya

Congrats on the barre too. Your right. Just need to do it again and again and you will have it up to speed in no time.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

Information on the different Barre's can be found on Nils web site....just click on the chord chard under the tools heading......thanks for the info Nil!

http://home.nycap.rr.com/nils/

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote