Skip to content
Barre Chord Hell is...

Notifications
Clear all

Barre Chord Hell is getting me down, pass the Prozac...

14 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Guys and gals

This is destroying me. I have been playing for about 2 years now, and have got pretty good at open chords, can finger pick ok, the only thing really holding me back is barre chords. I have tried and tried and tried, but still can't get the hang of it. I play a decent acoustic (Larivee) and the action is fine, so i don't think its the guitar.

When i form an E shape with my middle, ring and pinky, I can move it up and down the neck no problem, it feels natural and i am happy with it. My index finger looks poised to just drop down onto the fret board and away we go.....BUT when i actually apply my index finger, the nice E shape i had gets all distorted - even if I manage to get the strings I am fretting with the index finger to ring, I can't get the others to!

I have recently bought a Yamaha electric (just a Pacifica to start learning electric on).

Please can you help, I have tried everything. I really need a concise guide to not only how to do it, but how it should feel when done right. Is it worth learning the barre's on my electric until I am confident to move to the acoustic?

Frustrated, I am sure this puts a LOT of newbies off!

Matt

(@djbouch)
Eminent Member

Check out this link:

http://www.douglasniedt.citymax.com/page/page/513109.htm

I think it might help

ReplyQuote
(@stjames1759)
Eminent Member

Check out this link:

I think it might help

Does anyone else use this method??

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yeah I would love to know this too - is it an unusual way of looking at things or is this "standard" way of approaching it?

Fascinating article though, thanks for posting it

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Check out this photo.

Barre Chord

OK, the first thing you should notice is that this person's index finger is not straight. It is slightly curled or arched. That is OK. And if you look really close you can see that the index finger is also slightly on it's side, not the underside of the finger. That is OK.

Do not worry about the shape of your index finger. It does not have to be pointing straight. I believe some people get this impression by mistake. Also, do not use the underside of your index finger, use the edge toward your thumb. Your index finger shouldn't be all the way on it's side, but maybe halfway.

Also experiment with the position of the index finger. With some people you will see the index finger stick out above the fretboard. Other people the tip will be on the 6th string. It doesn't really matter. What feels comfortable to you and at the same time allows you to fret properly is all that matters.

One more thing. Do not get the mistaken impression that you must depress all 6 strings perfectly with your index finger. NO, NO, NO! That is too much work! All the index finger must do is properly play the strings not held by the other fingers. And you also do not have to worry about strings not being played. You might be playing this "barre E form" chord shown in the photo. But if you are NOT playing the 1st and 2nd strings in the particular song you are playing, why worry about them?? DON'T. Just worry about the actual strings you NEED in the song. People make barre chords too difficult. Make it easy on yourself.

And if you are playing a chord like the one shown, the index finger really only has to depress the 6th, 2nd, and 1st strings!! Your other fingers are fretting the other stings. So you can use the tip of your index finger to fret the 6th string, and the fat base of your index to fret the 1st and 2nd strings. Try it, it takes almost no effort at all.

You also notice that person's other fingers are not perfectly straight. That is OK. Your hand doesn't need to look perfect. Proper fretting is what is important.

Sorry for the novel, just trying to make it clear.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Wes

thanks a lot - it wasn't a novel, it was very concise, and as usual very well explained.

Much appreciated!

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Yeah I would love to know this too - is it an unusual way of looking at things or is this "standard" way of approaching it?

Fascinating article though, thanks for posting it

Matt

The method is fairly standard, but

1 - the position of the thumb is a little odd - I find that my thumb is between my Index and Middle fingers when I do barre chords.

2 - don't pull the guitar back towards your chest with both arms - you need one of them for picking/ strumming. The fretting hand should push the neck back until it reaches the thumb, and then it should stop. The thumb does not push or grip the neck. He gets that across in the next section down - when he says you can play barre chords without using the thumb - but he doesn't get there the way I would.

Ultimately, I would suggest looking at Jamey Andreas's site

Clickety click

and check out what he says about "heavy arm" and other such concepts.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Alan

Thanks for that. Only one problem with that site - I find Mr Andreas' whole approach so, what's the word, umm...Oh I daren't even try and explain, its just that I can't even contemplate going there!

Is it just me that finds his approach way too mystical and fantasy soaked, I just can't be doing with it, I know that's probably hugely unfair and I am sure many people have benefitted from his teaching, but it just doesn't suit me. To me playing guitar is a bit like learning any other motor related skill, its not rocket science and you don't need blood of toad and brimstone to do it.

Sorry Jamie, but i just don't dig you, man!

But thanks Alan for the suggestion!!!!!!!

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Yeah, where was that "heavy arm" thing? All I see is a big sales site.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Basically I do what Mr. Niedt says, but, rather than "trying to break the guitar in half", I have learned to use the "elbow portion" of my strumming arm to push the body of the guitar in toward my body which pushes out the neck, (and it doesn't affect my strumming AT ALL!) which enables me to play barres MUCH more easily. On my electrics I don't even have to have my thumb touching the back of the neck........ I can apply all the "pressure" I need with my strumming "elbow portion" (LOL! That just sounds so wierd!) On my acoustics I still need to add that extra pressure from the thumb at the back of the neck.

But, IMHO, once you figure out exactly what he's talking about and don't dismiss it just because of the way he tells it, mess with it a bit until you find something that "fits" you and the way you play and I'll bet you a buck your barres start getting easier!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@jimscafe)
Estimable Member

I guess we have all had this problem..

If it helps try playing the G chord with a barre on the third fret, then move down to F# (2nd fret) and back to G. Its easier to hold the barre on the higher frets.

I think I made the breakthrough when I was jamming each week with a much more experienced player and we played Wild World (G-F-C) and then We Can Work It Out (Bm-G-F#). For weeks I couldn't play these parts of the song but eventually it clicked. Maybe the extra excouragement of playing a song with someone else.

Like was said earlier, in a song you don't have to hold down all the strings, at first you might 'cheat' a little and not play the low E.. Worked for me.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Yeah, where was that "heavy arm" thing? All I see is a big sales site.

Look under his picture and read "Doug's Dirty Little Secrets"...............

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@redman)

Just to add to the other replies. Take a good look at how you are holding the guitar. Barre chords get a little easier if the neck is angled up.

Redman

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Here's a link to a post where I try to expalin a different way of doing things.

Barre Chord

joe

ReplyQuote