Clear all

barre chord limits

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@logan5)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Okay ... is it just me ... or are there others that simply don't bother with barre chords (other than the A form) higher than the 12th fret? It's just way to cramped up there to play ... say an E form cleanly.

Logan5

There are 10 types of people in the world ... those who know binary ... and those who don't.

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Things do get cramped in the upper register.

I tend to use 4-string chords ("jazz" chords) more than any other, so instead of a full barre for something line B7 at the 19th fret I'd be doing one of these:

xx 19
19 19
20 20
19 19
xx xx
19 xx

But there's really no reason to avoid full barres when you want them. It's just a matter of practice... scales, arpeggios and everything else are more cramped in upper positions too!

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I never really find the need to go above the 14th fret with full barres, and up till there is doable.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

As a jazz guy, I have a question . . .

people still use barre chords once they learn about 7ths? :)

In all seriousness, I almost never chord above the 12th fret, and certainly not above the 15th. While I rarely use barre chords, I'd say that goes doubly for the upper registers.

In my mind you have to define what you're using the chords for. If you're playing that high on the neck, you're almost certainly trying to play melodic chords, as such straight barres are probably teh wrong chord choices. Just a thought.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@logan5)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I must admit I haven't yet played a song that required barre chords that high on the neck ... but I do go through them as part of my practice and warm-up routine ... and just wondering if I'm wasting time there ... because it's just nothing but frustration

Logan5

There are 10 types of people in the world ... those who know binary ... and those who don't.

ReplyQuote