Clear all

Barre Chord Question

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@chymera)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey Guys, Im going to start practising barre chords and there is a song I like that use B Flat, C barre and A barre which I think I'l start with. Anyway, I have no notion how to form these so could anyone please tell me for each of the three chords which fret I barre and also what strings/ frets my other fingers or on as I'm seriously lost. Thanks alot

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

A major as a barre chord can be played as
577655 (that's frets on the 6 strings from 6 to 1)

For Bb everything is shifted one fret higher: 688766

And C is 3 frets higher: 8 10 10 9 8 8

Other shapes are possible too.

ReplyQuote
(@chymera)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply but I don't understand what you mean with them numbers. I'm very new to all this so excuse my ignorance :(

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

A barre chord is normally an E-shaped chord, or an A-shaped chord, moved higher up the neck of the guitar with a barre across the strings.

Take an E chord - for this you'd need to play the bottom E string open (note = E) the A string at the 2nd fret( note=B) the D string at the second fret (note=E) the G string at the first fret (note=G# or Ab) the B string open (B) and the top E string open (E.) This is commonly written thus:

EADGBE
022 100

and sometimes, for convenience, the EADGBE is left out. each string is either playing an E G# or B note - these notes (the 1st 3rd and 5th notes in the scale of E) make up an E, or E major, chord. Now say, for instance, you wanted to play an F chord. You'd have to play the notes F A and C to play this - and because we know those notes are all one semitone higher than the notes in an E chord, it follows that all you have to do is play the E chord one fret higher up. This is done by placing your index finger all the way across the neck at the first string, then using your other fingers to play the E-shape on top of this.

EADGBE
022 100 - E chord
133 211 - F chord. It follows we can do this all the way up the neck:
244 322 - F#(Gb)chord
355 433 - G chord
466 544 - G#(Ab)chord
577 655 - A chord
688 766 - Bb (A#)chord and so on.

You can do exactly the same with minors, 7ths, minor7ths.....and you can do the same with A-shaped chords, ie

EADGBE
002 220 - A chord
113 331 - Bb chord....etc.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@chymera)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

excellent, thanks alot man :wink:

ReplyQuote