Clear all

Barre Chords Up The Neck

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm working on a song that has a G > A >B chord progression that I do using acending E-form barre chords. The G and A I do fine but when I get to the B, with the barre on the 7th fret, I have trouble getting a clean sound out of the B string. It's just not pressed hard enough and sounds dull. I do notice the action gets higher on my guitar (an Epi LP) as it gets closer to the bridge, so I fighure that has something to do with it. I just recall some posts a while ago that barre chords should be easier, not harder, as you move up. Any suggestions? Is the action perhaps too high? Should it be uneven like that? It's only the B string; the others I have no problem. Be interested to hear- I doin't know if it's just me or whether there's something with the guitar or what.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

It might be action, but it might also be finger position. Be sure that you've positioned your thumb at the middle of the back of the neck. See if that helps.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Might your index finger be positioned in a slightly incorrect position? You need to make an adjustment to play barre chords higher up the neck. Your fingers have to be jammed into a smaller area. This adjustment may be hindering you. Check to make sure the crease for your lower knuckle is not preventing the b string from being fretted.

If you can play the G and A then you should not have a problem playing the B. Just ouf of curiosity have to tried to fret the b string only at the 7th. Does it ring clear when fretted alone?

The strings of all guitars get further off the fretboard as you move high up the neck (except maybe a classical), but because you are not fretting close to the nut it should still be easy to fret compared to the lower frets.

You could check and/or adjust you action anyway, it only makes the guitar more playable (provided it needs the adjustment)

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

actuslly, that is common. sometimes a string just doesnt get the pressure because the fleashy pads between the finger joints just dont line up perfectly.
a certain amount of 'lifeless'string sound is acceptable. but if it sounds like a dead plunk then readjusting your fretting hjand will help.

aagain, thumb pointing towars the head stock wwhen doing barre chords definately adds crucial pressure to the strings.
also, if you sling your guitar too low you may have problems.
tilt your neck upwards so it's near your face and see if that helps.
then adjust your slinging position so it feels good, looks cool, and you can fret acurately.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the tips. After checking it out tonight, there's definitely a problem with finger placement. The lower knuckle joint sometimes seems to get in the position right over the B string. It's more forgiving on the lower frets where the action is lower. I need to make a conscious effort to push the finger up higher so the knuckle is betweem the 4th and 5th string. I think also sometimes I let the finger position slip down a bit as I ascend from the 3rd to the 5th to the 7th fret. The string rarely goes totally dead, it's just not real clear, and with these chords I'm arpeggiating the notes, because one the arrangement sounds kind of good at that place in the song and two it forces me to make those individual strings ring out clear. I'll keep on trying.

Also, the suggestion about pointing thethumb towards the headstock- I'd never head that before, but after trying it it does seem to add more pressure on the index finger. That should help, too.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@littlebrother)
Estimable Member

Great suggestions and another way to think about approaching bar chords is only play and press on the strings and spots needed. You can kinda work on eventually not pressing all the strings as hard and only focusing pressure on the strings that need it. Now this can be done even with small hands but requires time and patience. Eventually your hand flexibility and strength will get a clean sound. And playing as close to the frets as possible of course helps make it cleaner and easier. The neck does usually get wider and thicker as you go up and the fretboard radius often changes. A lot going on there but technically the F bar chord should be the hardest so in many ways it sounds like you are way ahead of most people. Good luck with your playing.

My Guitar and Blues Site

ReplyQuote