Clear all

Be a better guitarist in three months!?

18 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So theres this book claiming to make you a better guitarist in only 3 months. However I am a poor musician :lol: and I have no money to purchase it and my local library doesn't carry this particular book. So I ask you all what do YOU think I should do to become a better guitarists in only three months??? I need to keep my practice schedual fairly entertaining or else I will end up putting my guitar back down for another three months which is not the objective! Please gimme some feedback!

Thanks!

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

No sweat - any guitarist can become a "better guitarist" in 3 months.

How much better is another thing. I will almost guarantee that you will not become so much better because of a book. In order to improve, you will have to put in a lot of hard practice, which I'm sure the author is not saying much about. You can do the same practice without the book and still improve - whether or not you will improve as much as with the book is difficult to say. The "difference" between with the book and without is probably so little as to make it not worthwhile.

On the other hand, if the book is offering a structured practice regime and being open about the progress being down to your application of the regime and your level of practice, then it might just be worth it.

If you still feel that he will make you a great guitarist in 3 months, I've got this plot of land that I'd like to talk to you about, it's a real bargain, honest....................... 8)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Yep. The only thing that's really going to make you a better guitarist in 3 months is practice, practice and more practice.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

3 months ? OMG 3 whole big long months ?

You have got to be kidding me. That is just too much a time to be a better guitarist.

The course which you need is the one 'Learn to play guitar like your favourite hero in 45 mins : GUARANTEED'. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

3 months ? OMG 3 whole big long months ?

You have got to be kidding me. That is just too much a time to be a better guitarist.

The course which you need is the one 'Learn to play guitar like your favourite hero in 45 mins : GUARANTEED'. :lol:

45 MINUTES!!!!!!!!!!!! Gimme a break. It's all about the 40 minute hero over here. :lol: :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

Pick up the guitar every single day, practice for an hour, and spend half of that hour doing things you find incredibly difficult and frustrating.

You'll be much better in 3 months!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

take the advice given in this thread and you have already become a "better guitarist" :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Okay- lame question:
Learn to use a metronome.
Probably really good advice. At least, friends who play better than I do are always saying it. But what am I supposed to do with it? I have a metronome- it makes annoying noises, and doesn't seem to even know how to play the guitar... :oops:

Ande

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Okay- lame question:
Learn to use a metronome.
Probably really good advice. At least, friends who play better than I do are always saying it. But what am I supposed to do with it? I have a metronome- it makes annoying noises, and doesn't seem to even know how to play the guitar... :oops:

Ande

Basically it helps you keep your rhythm consistent, to stay "on time".

Take a look at some of Guitarnoise's lessons on the subject here, here and here.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Don't spend your money on a book. Send me the money and I will give you instructions every day for the next three months.
Here's the first one free! (Practice something. Anything)
Here's a hint at tomorrow's instructions. (Practice s....)
:D

There's plenty of info here at GN. You can absolutey become a better player by sticking with the lessons provided by David Hodge. Pick one that fits your skill level and (excuse my French) Viola! You are well on your way to becoming a better player. (Be sure to define what "better" means to you.)

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I think I could put something together to walk you through 90 days.

It would be really interesting to try. Hmmmm, let me think about it.

How much would you be willing to practice per day? Realistically now, 30 minutes? 45?

What style or should I just cover the basics?

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Nick, that answer is very helpful.
I can't speak for AudioBoy but I know that I have been looking for a good practice schedule because I get too distracted if left to myself and end up just fooling around and not really accomplishing anything. I haven't been able to find one in a book and everyone I ask gives a very vague "do whatever you like" type of answer.

I need some structure to fill up my 30 minutes or so of practice time and I would gladly send you the $24.99 I would otherwise spend on a book like that. :P

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
 Rune
(@rune)
Trusted Member

Hiya Nick,

I'm also interested in a practice schedule. I'm easy, I like all kinds of music. I've got access to electric and acoustic, but I like my electric better because of my nifty effects pedal. :oops:

Like Cowgirl, I end up just messing around after I practice a few chords and scales. I was working on David Hodge's lesson on Horse With No Name for a few days, but I got to a plateau and I wasn't really getting any further with it and put down the guitar again.

I would realistically spend an 30 - 60 mins on practice per day. I'm a real beginner though, myself.

This would make a great article!

It's a dry heat!

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

This would make a great article!

It is!

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=25

Okay, maybe not a great article, but hopefully a helpful one.

And, just in the interest of not getting frowned upon by the powers that be, you can still send Nick the money :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

OK I have bought 2 books so far. The first one and I can't even remember the name, started off by insisting that I master the 12 bar blues, including barre chord, before turning the page.
The 2nd book was Guitar for Dummies (at least I remember the name lol) and it made me wade thru 70 pages before teaching me Kum-by-ya. Woo-hoo. :evil:
IMHO if you can make your way thru 3 or 4 easy song lessons over the next 3 months (pick some songs you like) you can't help but be a better player and you will know some songs too. Or I could sell you some gently used books :wink:

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2