Notifications
Clear all

Be a better guitarist in three months!?

18 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I've been through well over 100 of those 3-month cycles as a guitarist now. I'd say I was a "better guitarist" at the end of at least 95% of them. Objectively speaking, the other 5% or so I was either laying the groundwork for something I found really difficult - with measurable progress to follow - or I was just plain lazy that quarter. :)

I've even done more than 100 of those 3-month cycles as a guitar teacher. And honestly, if being "better" was the only vague criteria you measure things by, about 98%+ of my students are better at the end of every 3-month period. The few who aren't don't pick up a guitar much between lessons.

My advice: separate the advertising hype from the equation. What do YOU want to learn to do/play? If some book/DVD/guru can help you along the road to that, it might be worth it... if what they offer doesn't line up with your goals, then "better" isn't a bargain.

Everyone gets better at the things they work at - and they don't get better at the things they only hope they'll achieve without any effort.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I like the article David. I was thinking of something a bit more basic, more technique driven, more idiot proof for people with short attention spans like me. It's an excellent template/launching point and I think I'll steal liberally from it.

Noteboat, I agree with you. 90 days of practice will make you better, certainly much better than 90 days of no practice.

What I'm thinking of is based loosely on my experience with last summer's influx of absolute beginner guitar students. I played Horse with no name so often the first three weeks that I can play it backwards and have it sound like Satan speaking. But the upshot of that three weeks was that I became so good at rhythm and palm muting that I astounded myself. I mean I'm not great by any means, but the improvement was dramatic. The means of the improvement was repetition, breaking it down in small enough pieces for the beginner and playing so slowly to start, with such focus on demonstrating the technique that I practiced perfectly.

If I can put something together that's cohesive, easy, and targeted to the building blocks....heck I'd like to do it for myself and if others can benefit from it, so be it.

Hey, if you can get ripped abs in 90 days, you should be able to play better guitar.

As for selling it, I don't think so. Maybe I'll do the first 45 for free and if you like it you can pay for the next 45. Who knows? It would be nice to make something for the effort, but it would have to be quality and well worth anything you paid.

ReplyQuote
 Rune
(@rune)
Trusted Member

This would make a great article!

It is!

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=25

Okay, maybe not a great article, but hopefully a helpful one.

And, just in the interest of not getting frowned upon by the powers that be, you can still send Nick the money :wink:

Peace

Thanks, I have seen that article. Even that is a little too advanced / abstract for a beginner such as myself who is just getting basic chords down. I suppose that's what lessons are for though! :lol:

It's a dry heat!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2