Clear all

Beginner Standard Notation

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone know of a good place to find beginner standard notation, maybe something similar to the easy song database that is on this site? I don't really care for strumming alot, and since I was in band for a some time in high school it just seems easier to me. My beginner guitar book covers it some, but only in reference to teaching the individual notes, then moves on to chords and several other topics.

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Once you know the notes, practicing reading standard notation is really just a matter of finding stuff to sight read.

Berklee has a number of good books just for this purpose -- collections of sight reading excercises for each position.

Is that what you mean?

If not, can you clarify your question a bit?

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well not really just for sight reading, just songs in general. I just don't want to play mostly chords. I'm more interested in the melody parts I guess. I've purchased sheet music for a few songs I've heard on the radio, but they were way beyond my skill level. Aren't most lead parts a few chords here and there mixed in with the melody?

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

There are many books for beginners, most of which contain only standard notation (no tab, so you can focus). One would probably be very helpful.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

The best bang for the buck in sight reading material is fake books. Although they're usually pricey ($20-50), you get hundreds of songs - some of the fake books I have contain over a thousand, so you're in the 'pennies a piece' neighborhood.

Another good source is public libraries. Most have a lot of music, at least for piano - so just read the vocal line, or the keyboard right hand.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote