Notifications
Clear all

Stumming

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@phatfingers)
Topic starter  

Im having the biggest problem stumming cords (and with fretting still but getting better). For example, the D chord we're told in my "easy guitar" class not strum the first 2 strings (E&A) but when I try to play in the rithym of the song, I can't help but to hit all 6 and it sounds...bad. how does one develop an "aim" for hitting the target strings?

(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Phat

2 things here. First of all, rest assured it will come with practice, but in the meantime, start thinking in terms of stopping the strings ringing in the first place. On the D chord for instance, you will get away with the open A string ringing (it will give you a D/a chord which is D with A bass) and this is perfectly acceptable. What you REALLY don't want is that low E ringing, it will sound awful.

So, try and just touch the low E string with your thumb when you are fretting your D chord. You will find the slightest touch will mute it - that is stop it from ringing.

Other than that, its just good strumming technique to practice, it is possible to just hit the 4 required strings, but it might be easier to take my advice and damp the low E until you really get it. Its not a bad habit to get into. Just make sure you don't damp it on the E chords!

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Just practice strumming a chord. Try and modulate your strumming to hit different strings and get different voicings out of the chord. Keep at it, I, and I'm sure everyone else here had that problem at some point.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Strumming is quite easy.Yes in beginner it appears tough.It also depends whether u use a pick or not.Strumming using a pick is definatly simple and sound is better.Using finger its will take time to master.Also see that ur nails are not too big as they hinder a lot in strumming

Hope this helps

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Strumming is quite easy.Yes in beginning it appears tough.It also depends whether u use a pick or not.Strumming using a pick is definatly simple and sound is better.Using finger its will take time to master.Also see that ur nails are not too big as they hinder a lot in strumming

Hope this helps

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Strumming is quite easy.Yes in beginning it appears tough.It also depends whether u use a pick or not.Strumming using a pick is definately simple and sound is better.Using finger its will take time to master.Also see that ur nails are not too big as they hinder a lot in strumming

Hope this helps

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@d1ng0)
Eminent Member

try this.. if you can ready notation then great

----------------------------------------------------------0--
----------------------------------------0--------------------
-----------------------0--------------------------0----------
-------0---------------------0-------------------------------
--------------0----------------------------------------------
-0-----------------------------------------------------------

Do it slowly at first and then get faster.. I did this for about 5 minutes a day and it really helps for picking and for powercords and things that require percision..

If you cant read tab then ill try to explain it

EDIT: Dont worry bout the timing.. just do those strings as fast as you can... its not ment to make a song or anything lol.

Im a complete guitar newb. Feel free to e-mail me useful links for biggining players. thanks!

ReplyQuote