Clear all

strumming with fingers

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Been going ok in the 5 and half months I been playing, but from the time I started strumming with my fingers I have been using the nail side of my middle finger for downstrokes, and the nail side of my thumb on the upstroke. I guess I like the way its sounded and it felt the most comfortable for me. Is there a correct way to do it? I tried downstrokes with the thumb, and up with first finger and it feels ackward, but my way may not be good if I want to pick notes

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Most people use what is most comfortable for them and what produces the sound that they're looking for.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

OK thank you

ReplyQuote
(@tamuka)
Eminent Member

Jonetoe,

Just like you, I started strumming with my fingernals on downstroke, thumbnail on upstroke, but later on made the switch to downstrokes with the thumb and upstrokes with the forefinger. The reasons: (i) I didn't like the bright tone nails give (ii) I frequently switch from strumming to fingerpicking, and the new method made it easier and allowed for a more consistent tone (iii) a more advanced player who I jam with made fun of me - said I strummed like Dolly Parton!

In the beginning, my thumb would sometimes get "caught" in the strings, so I started off strumming at the edge of the fretboard till I got my technique down.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I don't care too much for plectrums (plectra?) but I tend to hold my thumb and finger together as if I'm holding one....also, my middle finger and ring finger tend to gravitate towards my index finger, so I'm strumming with 3 fingers and my thumb....sounds a littl weird, but it works for me....

Vic.

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

In response to the last two posts....If I were to try and change to strumming with my thumb on the downstrokes and index upstrokes should I cut my nails down? it would seem you would have to decide whether to strum with your nail or the flesh of your finger

I have also strummed with more then one finger on downstrokes and back up with thumb that seems good for me too. Is it possible to then pick notes if I stay with my way?

ReplyQuote
(@tamuka)
Eminent Member

I don't clip my inder finger nail all the way down as you would on the fretting fingers. Rather, I let the nail extend to the same point as the farthest part of the flesh of the finger i.e. it's like I'm picking with both flesh and nail simultaneously.

That being said, I see no reason for you to switch if you like the sound of nail strumming. With enough effort and practice, you'll still switch smoothly from strumming to picking.

I use the African fingerstyle technique (thumb and forefinger only) which is why I strum the way I do.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I strum, when doing fingerstyle, very much the same as Vic.
I keep my nails even with the tips of my fingers.
I find with my nails this length I can either use my nails or not when picking notes according to what sound I am after.
Please bear in mind that what works for one person may not work for another, we are all individuals with our own styles.

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all, I am assuming the style vic and missleman use then are also using the the nail side ( one or more fingers on downstroke and thumb nail on upstroke)...thanks

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Its good you are using ur fingers but hey u must also use a pick for strumming.You will find the sound better and your hands will hurt less.Use ur fingers mainly for fingerpicking ,if u so.

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Its good you are using ur fingers but hey u must also use a pick for strumming.You will find the sound better and your hands will hurt less.Use ur fingers mainly for fingerpicking ,if u so.

Rahul

ReplyQuote