Skip to content
Bend with top of na...

Notifications
Clear all

Bend with top of nail or with tip of finger?

13 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm practicing bends by using index+middle+ring finger, but I was wondering:
When I push the strings with the tips the strings get caught underneath the nail, which seems unpleasant :)
When I push the strings with the fingers pointed down towards the fretboard, then it's the nails that are pushing the top strings out of the way (sort of forming an inclined plane which the high strings ride up on)

Just wondering what do people do?

Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Cutting your nails very short will help...

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Had to get out my guitar and bend some strings just to see what happens. Been doing it so long I really don't think about this kind of thing anymore. :D

When I bend, the strings above touch my fingers just below the nail. But they don't ride up underneath my nail at all. But I keep my nails very short, always have.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Actually, I was searching around on the old posts to see if people had tips, and I happened to find this picture you had of bending:

It looks like there it's the fingernails that come into contact with the string. I guess what I mean is, do your fingertips push straight down against the fretboard (perpendicular to it) - in which case the tops of the nails do the pushing against the higher strings, or do the fingertips sort of point up towards the sky?

Guess I can also cut my nails shorter, but they're pretty short already...

ReplyQuote
(@azertyuiop201)
Trusted Member

I had this problem too when I started out bending, my nail would catch the above string and drag it along down when releasing the bend causing lots of unwanted noise. This will pass after a couple days/weeks of practise. Try to mute the above string with the palm of your picking hand (let it rest on it). Another thing that might occur are slippy fingers and strings that slip away while you're trying to bend them... just takes some time and patience and it'll be all good.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I suppose people bend slightly different ways, but I don't go straight down on the strings like that. My fingers are more like that person's index finger in the photo. But that's me. I wouldn't say they are pointing at the sky, but maybe halfway.

It just occured to me that your action may be a little too high. I keep my strings fairly low (not dead low). My strings touch maybe 1/16" below my nails on the tip of my fingers.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hm, that might be the case. When I fret the string I'm going to bend a full step (7th fret, G string), if I try pushing the higher strings with my fingertips, then i'm only holding down the G string with the pads of my fingers, which makes it feel like the G string is just going to slip away. In that case the higher strings are definitely closer than 1/16" below my fingernails.

Maybe I just have small fingers? :roll: Anyhow, I guess before I've just been pressing down more directly, which avoids strings-under-fingernails, but then leads to strings sliding up on tops of fingernails..

Hmm

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I bend more like this guy:

But that just goes to show that not everybody does it exactly the same. :D

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I just want to make sure I'm using a correct technique! :)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i bend with my fingertips, pretty much in the center, so if someone's pointing at you, the middle of that is where i touch the string.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I think it's just about parcticing at it will get better. I guess I have the same thing happen once in awhile but not often

on a side note Wes - Is that a new 'do your sportin there in your avatar or is it that I just can't see the top of your head?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

For future reference, I figured out the problem. If you simply use your fingertips to push up the strings without rotating your wrist, the strings tend to get caught low on the fingertips, and slide up and under your nails as you push the strings up. This is because the angle of the fingertips with respect to the fretboard is changing.

If you plunk down your fingers and rotate your wrist, keeping the angle of the fingertips constant, the strings won't slide up into your nails. :)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Redpoint

Yeah, no one brought that up. When you bend you turn the wrist sort of like turning a doorknob.

Chris, that is actually an old pic taken several years back. You can't see my hair because of the background. That pic was actually taken at a 4th of July gig and it was very hot that night. If you look closely you can see my shirt is soaked with perspiration (probably more than you wanted to know). I was having trouble seeing that night because sweat was running down into my eyes and burning. Good gig though.

Here's another pic from that gig.

Girls think sweaty geezer guitar players are sexy.

NOT!

ReplyQuote