10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

hi all

I bite my tongue when playing ......

Is this normal or am I severally retarded ?

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

Sounds like stress. R-E-L-A-X

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote
(@tkn_dk)
Trusted Member

I've found that I clench my teeth when trying to play something that's hard for me. I try to relax when I notice that I'm doing it. I think it's perfectly normal to do stuff like that when you're concentrating tho.

All I want is food and creative love.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Retarded. :lol:

Maybe it helps you concentrate. No problem there. Although singing may be an issue.

If you taste blood, back off Hilch.

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I severally retarded ?

Yeah.. I have to agree that is pretty retarded. Me? I bite my fingernails while playing :shock: . Well, not on my fretting hand of course. :lol: You should see my head trying to keep up with the rythem.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Hilch

That is pretty normal really, especially starting out. But this just shows you are a little too tense, so when you catch yourself doing this remind yourself to relax.

It is really very important to learn to relax when playing. When you are tense it slows your hands down significantly. You will make more mistakes too.

So, just be aware of stress and tension when you play, and then relax. I find taking a long deep breath through my nose and then exhaling very slowly through my mouth helps to relieve stress. But be aware of stress in your hands and body as well and just relax. With a little practice, playing relaxed will become very normal and you will play better. It is really something you have to learn.

Do you just stick out your tongue, or do you bend it in the middle with the tip behind your bottom teeth? :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@billybenbob)
Trusted Member

Some people just have tongue issues. My grandfather, who was a very handy man, couldn't hammer a nail unless his tongue was held just so.
My brother has to have his tongue out to shoot a basketball.
I've been asked to hold my tongue when I'm singing.

I wanted to learn to play guitar really badly and I think that I have succeeded.

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I only bite it I don't stick it out or bend it in the middle with the tip behind your bottom teeth ..

I just bite the tip and now actually thinking about it when I was learning to drive 42 tonne Forlifts years ago at work I used to always have ugly lumps on my tongue so I'm guessing I was doing it back then ..

Once again it's time to R E L A X .. I know if I have some beers I don't do it .. I suppose that's because I'm more at ease at what I'm doing and more relaxed ..But I can't drink every time Ipractice other wise I won't remember what I just did .. :wink: :wink:

I try to sing the words in my demented mind as I try to play ....

I suppose when I actually can play I will be so chilled out that picking up the guitar might be an effort ( sarcasim) :wink: :wink:

Thanks again everyone for your advise ( I might go and have another beer now )

Cheers :?

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I try to sing the words in my demented mind as I try to play ....

lol...Nice.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

Dont worry about it.I pull the most rediculous faces when playing solos!Been doing it for years but Didnt realise I did it until I watched a video of one our gigs last year.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote