Clear all

Blues I Can Use?

81 Posts
25 Users
0 Likes
19.8 K Views
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Good Vic Hunting wrote: If you really wish to learn the blues, start out with 12 barre blues using open chords and the minor pent scale.

BYCU uses barre chords instead of open position chords, but it does a good job of teaching about the 12 bar blues form and the pentatonic scales, which is one of the reasons I like it so much. I was resisting learning scales until this book, but it got me excited because it presents the box concepts in a way that works for me.

IMO, it's never too early to start working on the barre chords. Thought I'd never be able to barre, but am pleased that I can now (on electric, not so well on acoustic).

I can't wait to get the BYCU Primer when it comes out. Looks like it'll be some fun stuff that won't push me quite as hard as BYCU, which is, admittedly, a challenge because it's a bit over my reach still. But I've learned a lot from BYCU already.

John Ganapes has a great way of teaching. I recommend buying the book even if it's to "grow into."

And here's a tip for those who aren't aware. You can rip the tracks from the CD and slow the tempo down in Windows Media Player without changing the key, and practice until you can bring it up to speed. You must have version 10 of WMP (I think), then click View, Enhancements, Play Speed Settings. Then use the slider to adjust the speed.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

People on the BYCU forum were introducing themselves and most of them had been playing for years. That scares me a little. There was one guy out there who was pretty much a beginner and he thought he was doing ok with it.

No reason to be worried. If it turns out that you cant use it yet, then put it on the shelf. You'll use it someday. Thing you dont want is to get a book that is just plain bad and that isnt this book. Its really good.

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.
Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@cloonsey)

Thanks Margaret.
I never knew you could do that in windows media player,helps alot.

ReplyQuote
(@jasong)

hi folks,

GY01, I'd definitely encourage you to work with the BYCU book - I haven't purchased this yet (!) - after looking at the website I've decided that this will be my next guitar book - I may even run out to the bookstore this afternoon.

I can understand your teacher's reluctance to continue working through the next set of Hal Leonard books - I'd classify myself as an "Advanced Beginner" guitarist - I've gone through the Hal Leonard volumes 1-2-3 (I bought the complete edition combined) as well as the Hal Leonard blues book. While HL books 1 and 2 were good intros, I found that they didn't offer enough background on the WHYs of things. David Hodge's lessons here on GN are a testament to how great a real instructional guitar book can be. I was VERY disappointed in the HL blues book. BYCU looks a lot more substantial and instructive.

regards
JasonG

Make every day count

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Cloonsey wrote: Thanks Margaret. I never knew you could do that in windows media player,helps alot.

You're welcome. My guitar teacher showed me that and it's been very helpful. Even used it while working on my part for a GN jam.

One more thing about BYCU, and then I'll try to shut up. Can you tell I really like the book? :lol:

I have blown a lot of money on guitar books. If you saw all my books, you'd think I knew how to play or something. Ha!

Unfortunately, most books don't effectively teach to me. They may have plenty of text in between the songs, but most of it isn't meaningful to me or is too boring for me to stick with. I sit down and diligently try to apply myself to it, but my eyes soon glaze over and I skip to the songs.

BYCU is the one book I've found so far that all of the text is worth reading. It doesn't contain a lot of extraneous stuff I don't need and all of it is valuable.

Margaret

P.S. I have no financial interest in BYCU, but I wish I did. :D

ReplyQuote
 GY01
(@gy01)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

margaret

Your earnest advocacy of a product, in this case a book, that you believe in is not a problem. It is appreciated. My local guitar mega mart has four in stock so I plan to pick one up this afternoon. I will study it to determine if I am far enough along to make effective use of it. I am hoping I can use it now because I love hearing the blues.

My teacher has a degree in classical guitar but he plays the blues well. I am sure between the BYCU and his help I will be able to make some progress. It doesn't bother me any to practice 90 minutes a day, so maybe I can make a go of it.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Margaret:

Your endorsement made me purshase BYCU and MoreBYCU on Amazon. I was thinking about spending a few months getting deep into studying the blues and these look like a great place to start. I always appreciate your input, since it is always honest and informative!

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Thanks, CFB. I hope both you and GY01 will feel that you've gotten your money's worth.

The reason I bought BYCU was because it was soundly recommended here on GN by some others whose opinion I trusted. They were right, and I'm happy to pass along the favor. :)

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Thanks Margaret.
I never knew you could do that in windows media player,helps a lot.

Winamp can do it too. All it needs is the pacemaker plugin.
Another useful Winamp plugin is Loopmaste which lets you play the same section of a song repeatedly.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
 GY01
(@gy01)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I picked up a copy of BYCU at my local guitar mega center last night. It looks pretty good. At my sons hockey practiced I looked through six or seven of the lessons. Nothing looked terribly difficult, though I imagine playing them at the demo tempo may prove challenging.

I really like the write-ups that accompany each lesson. More books whould be written this way. I think I will also pick up Fretboard Logic at guitar mega mart tonight.

ReplyQuote
(@jasong)

hi folks,

I've been going through using Fretboard Logic (volumes 1 and 2) for several months now, and I'd definitely recommend it.

As a beginner guitar player (although with several years of piano lessons some 25 years ago!) it was my first guitar "theory" book, and it really opened my eyes to how versatile the guitar is in terms of playing chords and scales in different locations. The book is dense with information - it has taken me a lot of time and work to really understand and master the concepts and techniques described. I am still not even halfway through it, but it definitely worth the effort. Sometimes his writing is hard to figure out - I would have preferred that he expand on certain topics - but overall a keeper.

regards
Jason

Make every day count

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Alright, you guys got me! I ordered both "blues You Can Use" and "Blues Licks You Can Use" from Musicians Friend. I should get the books in a couple of days and I look forward to working through them.

Has anyone had any experience with the "Licks" book?

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

While we are talking about Blues You Can Use how about us using it post a few samples, here is mine and please post comments I can take it LOL

That darn Blue Rock Tune took me about 30 minutes before I got a take that I was sorta happy with....lol

its at the bottom "WWW" or this,

http://members.optusnet.com.au/keithblake/

Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

????? Where is the post Keith?

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Well done KBlake. I can't wait until I get the book. I have had a few minor breakthroughs lately and I'm anxious to take the next step. I'll post an example or two after I have a chance to work with the book.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 6