0 Likes
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I feel silly asking this...But.

Key of G, for example. 1 4 5,... G C D

Can this be palyed as G7, C7, D7?

I happen to like the sound of it, sounds bluesy to me, but I was checkin out the lesson on the site, and it said G C D7, which also sounds good.

Thanks guys

Taso

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

It's used all the time. I find that most 12 bar blues use 7th chords for all three chords rather than just one, as it does sound much more bluesy.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thank you very much. It felt so right, that's why I felt stupid asking, but then the lesson said otherwise.

Anyways,

Thanks a bunch.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

I feel silly asking this...But.

Key of G, for example. 1 4 5,... G C D

Can this be palyed as G7, C7, D7?

I happen to like the sound of it, sounds bluesy to me, but I was checkin out the lesson on the site, and it said G C D7, which also sounds good.

Thanks guys

Taso

Either or man. It's a how it feels thing. :D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

I say you can do whatever you want but usually a dominant 7th chord sounds like it needs to be resolved.

It's late and I need to go to bed but I was just reading about jazz theory so I am going to take a stab at this and just confuse the heck out of you as my own little quiz on what I have been reading lately. I read one standard jazz progression is:

Imaj7 VIm7 IIm7 V7

In the key of F it would be:

Fmaj7 Dm7 Gm7 C7

That looks a bit different than what you are playing, but then there are these things called secondary dominants. In jazz, and maybe other types of music I dunno, you can precede any chord with it's dominant 7 even though it is technically not in the key – these are called secondary dominants. (Noteboat come and save this sinking ship!) The dominant 7 is the fifth of the scale. For example, G is the fifth note in the C scale, so G7 is the dominant chord of the key of C. Now, you can substitute in a G7 before a C chord which changes the Gm7 to a G7. And coincidentally D7 is the dominant chord of G, so you can change the Dm7 chord to a D7. Which changes my original chord progression to:

Fmaj7 D7 G7 C7

So to me, it looks like you are playing a jazz progression with out playing the tonic and if you want to resolve your chord progression, you would throw in an F or Fmaj7 - oh go wild and let it be a maj9th.

Just realized :oops: you are playing G7 D7 C7. Well, let's throw an extra G7 on the end and get, G7 D7 C7 G7 to make my secondary dominants theory part work.

Any damage I have just done will hopefully be undone by a much smarter-more-knowledgeable person. Edit; :oops: Just thought about it again, and I think you should just disregard what i said because it would probably change your lead part.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

lol...

Purple, the effort was amazing, I'll tell ya that much right now!

Kidding. It's also time for me to go to bed. I'll read threw that and see if I understand it a 2nd time threw tomorrow :)

Thanks for the responses.

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

:oops: I was actually coming to erase my post, and replace it with the fact that I do the same thing. I often pay the blues progression as E7, A7, B7. Well, if you want to learn something about jazz, then read it through again. I am a giving person - no need to thank me. :oops:

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing because then it makes you think you understand things more than you actually do. I was so wrapped up in reading theory this weekend that I think it fried my brain. What you posted looked so much like the chord progressions that I had been looking at, that I had to chime in with something irrelevant. On the plus side, writing that out made me get a better understanding of secondary dominants. On the down side, this only proves once again I am a complete idiot.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote