Clear all

Blues riffs/licks/fills

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Seems peretty topical at the moment... Whilst loving Jimi Hendrix and realising that John Frusciante throws in alot of bluesy stuff as "fills" for his parts, I was wondering if there's a good way to learn aload of famous or simple and common blues riffs.

Maybe this can be a recommendations thing, or maybe a stikc your fave blues riff up thing, but a point in the right direction would be good. I like throwing them into Hey Joe and various RHCP songs that I can play. :D

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

(@Anonymous)

BLUES YOU CAN USE site PLUS I suggest getting the books as well

Slowhand Blues Guitar

Olav Torvund's Guitar Pages

Big Road Blues Discussion

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks very much.

They all seem so deep with knowledge.

thanks for the quick reply.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Clazon, also check out a tab for Cream's Crossroads. This solo has so many famous blues licks.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yes, it is easy to tell that Hendrix was a big influence on John, and he has a very similar style.

A lot of Hendrix's (and John's) runs are old blues licks that come from hammering on and pulling off notes out of a chord form. Hendrix had large hands and usually played the 6th string with his thumb. For a "barred E" type form he often muted the A string. Here is a classic little hammer-on, pull off run with this chord form. The hammer-ons and pull-offs are done with the pinky while holding the chord at all times.

A Major

e-5i-----------5-----5----------------
b-5i-----------5-----5h7p5---5--------
g-6m-----------6-----6-------7p6---6--
d-7r-----------7-------------------7--
a-X-----------------------------------
e—5t--------5-------------------------

In the Wind Cried Mary, Hendrix used this technique again, hammering-on some beautiful double stops after the intro chords.

Eb E F

e--------------------------------------
b—-8r--9--10---------------------------
g—-8r--9--10---------------------------
d—-8r--9--10------8-----9-----10-------
a—-6i--7---8------8h10—-9h11—-10h12----
e--------------------------------------

Make sure to hold both strings on the double stops sounding both notes. Awesome.
I use the index and ring fingers for this. On the last F chord your index will be in perfect position to play the double-stops.

Here is a great little Blues lick with hammer-ons and pull-offs you hear Hendrix use quite often. Great little run. I have shown this in E.

E9

e—7r---------7-----7-----------------
b—7r---------7-----7h9p7---7---------
g—7r---------7-------------7h9p7-----
d—6i-------------------------------6-
a—7m------7------------------------7-
e------------------------------------

It is easier to come out of the E9 chord and play a barre over the first 3 strings with this run. But on the last double stop you go back to the E9 chord.

And Hendrix liked the "barred C" form as well. Here is a classic hammer-on, pull-off lick.

G E

e------------------------------
b—---8----------7h8p7----------
g—---7----------7--------------
d—---9----------7h9p7--------7-
a---10------/9----------10---9-
e------------------------------

So, this is how Hendrix and John get most of those pretty licks you hear. They are done with hammer-ons, pull-offs, and slides.

Good stuff.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Too right, it's good stuff.

:D

I have a friend whose band likes to rehearse and rehearse until they have exact copies of a song (for their covers obviously), and you honestly wouldn't tell the difference between say Muse and them playing.

However, for me and my band, I love throwing in as many different, but in key, twiddles as I can. Obviously I want people to recognise it, but it's just more fun to add your own touches aswell as a few stolen riffs :D .

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

However, for me and my band, I love throwing in as many different, but in key, twiddles as I can. Obviously I want people to recognise it, but it's just more fun to add your own touches aswell as a few stolen riffs :D .

right on 8)

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote