Skip to content
HELP!!, Why cant I ...

Notifications
Clear all

HELP!!, Why cant I hold a pick???????????????

26 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@wmwise)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Is anyone else having as hard of a time keeping hold of the pick as I am??
I just cant seem to be able to get it right. Keeps working it way out of my
fingures. If I try holding the pick tighter, I find myself strumming way to hard.
I am using the thins.

Any suggs from the guitar pros??????????? HELP

Thanks in adavance
Bill

De Oppresso Liber

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

First off is trying to relax. I know its hard at first. Keep practicing and you'll get used to it.

Second I'd recommend a Medium pick, but again that's a personal taste however, when I started I couldn't ever imagine how anyone could play with hard thick(er) picks.. welp I like em now. :)

It will get better with more practice... I promise.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Wmwise,

I had a lot of trouble holding the large triangular picks. They were forever twisting out of position, so I'd not have the point available where I wanted it.

Then I stumbled across this smaller teardrop-shaped pick (I'm told it is a mandolin pick, and some call it a jazz pick). Haven't had trouble or annoyance or been distracted with the pick since.

The one I use (GHS Strings brand, in red) isn't shown here, but here are a few teardrop-shaped picks:

http://www.suncreekmusic.com/index.php/cPath/26_37/sort/2a/page/2

It's difficult to tell the size from a photo, but notice in the descriptions that some say "large" or "wide" or "small".

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

2 words for you: Gorilla Snot

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

ok hold on... before you go gluing your fingers to a pick try a heavier guage pick. I really suggest the Dunlop Tortex or Gator Grip series of picks. remember the thicker the pick the more control you have over it.

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

ok hold on... before you go gluing your fingers to a pick try a heavier guage pick. I really suggest the Dunlop Tortex or Gator Grip series of picks. remember the thicker the pick the more control you have over it.

I tried ALL these picks and the Snot is the ONLY think that has ever worked for me. Plus your finger isn't "glued" to the pick...you could still drop it if you're careless...but it won't just "slip" out while yor strumming or doing fast runs.

I'm game to try ANYTHING pick or otherwise that works BETTER (or AT LEAST as good) as Gorilla Snot :?: :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

Practice strumming in as many ways as you can think of, (as concerns the pick.) What i try to go for is as loud a sound as I can get with as light a strum as I can get. Takes practice.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Practice really does seem to help with this problem the most. I am sure the Snot stuff works well to but I personally prefer not using stuff like that. I do, however, find myself sucking on my pics now and then and it leaves kind of a sticky to them. But practice is the main thing. IMHO

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@wmwise)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks to everyone for the great advice!!! At this point I am willing to try anything.

Will let ya know if I ever get the dang thing to stay :D

Thanks Again
Bill :shock:

De Oppresso Liber

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Snot! Snot! Snot! Snot! Snot! Snot! Snot! Snot! Snot! Snot! Snot! Snot! Snot! Snot!
Snot! Snot! Snot! Snot! Snot! Snot! Snot! Snot! Snot! Snot! Snot! Snot! Snot! Snot!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Mark Knopfler don't need no stinkin picks :P

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

:lol:

You people are too funny!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

One thing that seems to work for me is the type of tape, black usually that you put on truck running boards or step ladders etc. It has a granular surface on one side. I always cut out a small disc of the material and apply it to the side of the pick that I hold with my thumb. Seems to provide good grip and stops my pick from twisting. I try hold the pick softly as I do not usually use an aggressive attack. Was always dropping the pck before and it usually found it's way into the soundhole or some other maddening place. A problem way less often now. You can get this stuff at most hardware stores etc. Dare I say Canadian Tire on a multinational site Eh?
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Mike you probably ought to blow your nose to get rid of all that congestion!!! :lol:

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I hope Geoo doesn't accidently suck on one of Mike's snotty pics. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2