Skip to content
HELP!!, Why cant I ...

Notifications
Clear all

HELP!!, Why cant I hold a pick???????????????

26 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@teegee420)
Trusted Member

I like these ones:

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I hope Geoo doesn't accidently suck on one of Mike's snotty pics. :)

ROFL Ewwww. Ya had to go there. :lol:

I know, its a disgusting habit. Hopefully there are no other guitarist in my area doing the same or else you never know who I am swapping spit with.

ok.. gotta break that habit today. I am completely grossed out now.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Take an extra one with you when you go out. Keep it in your pocket, take it out and just hold it while you're walking along or taking a break or doing anything else; sorta get unconsciously used to holding it, moving it around in your fingers, turning it. You'll be surprised how quick you get used to it.

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

I use these:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_everly_star_grip_pick_dozen?full_sku=103125472

They don't slide out of position between your fingers as easily.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

What I used to do, was to get a drill (10mm) and make several indentations in the grip area of the pick. If you go here and look at the pick, in the top, left hand corner, you'll see what I mean. Drill both sides and you'll have no further problem.
By the time the picks are worn out, you'll have gained enough experience to not need the indentations any more.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I had the same problem and in my 9th month of playing I discovered these picks:

http://www.bigrockeng.com/sx1.html (I use the nylon .46 for playing rhythm)

Here's another alternative that is more like a "normal" pick:

http://www.bigrockeng.com/

I've been using them exclusively ever since. The don't spin and it's almost impossible to drop.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I think the problem is fairly common with beginners. I had the same problem. For the short term you could try the gorilla snot stuff Mike mentioned but or maybe some smaller more flexible picks until you get comfortable strumming.

I used to drop my pick all the time and now I never do it's just a matter of practice and you'll be fine.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

What I used to do, was to get a drill (10mm) and make several indentations in the grip area of the pick. If you go here and look at the pick, in the top, left hand corner, you'll see what I mean. Drill both sides and you'll have no further problem.
By the time the picks are worn out, you'll have gained enough experience to not need the indentations any more.

I did this for a long time when I first started but I was using medium picks. They used to crack all the time as I was playing. I use 1mm picks now so maybe I wouldn't have that problem anymore.

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

I have been having this problem as well.
You guys are gross, yet informative. :P Thanks.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

The gross parts just help the information stick in your mind. We're being helpful :oops: :lol:

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

The gross parts just help the information stick in your mind. We're being helpful :oops: :lol:

Jim

A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say. Pure graphical over-the-edge comments that leave you sleepless and without appetite has gotta be worth a whole book. That's what I'M all about. LOL

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2