Clear all

blues you can use

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Have any of you used this method book? I was using a Hal Leonard guitar method book, and it's so frustrating to stick with. Having played low brass and piano, I didn't really want to learn what a quarter notes are and how to keep time.

I heard a tip about blues you can use and ordered it off amazon and it comes in today.

i'm excited

(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

There are a couple of other posts that cover this topic pretty well. You can find them at:

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33530
http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=34487
and
http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=34697

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member

I'm working through BYCU now and its a great book. I'm relatively new to the guitar and happened to actually start with the Hal Leonard Method book you also mentioned. I had purchased all 3 parts of the HL Method series and was wrapping up the 1st book about the same time as I got BYCU. While I'm very glad I started with the Hal Leonard books (I had no real prior background in playing an instrument so it gave me some good fundamentals to start with), I find that BYCU is loads more enjoyable and, as a result, I rarely find myself opening up the 2nd HL Method book.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Many on this site have used it. Myself included. It's a good book. Well worth the price and sticking with the lessons. THAT'S the hard part! :D

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Great book...

Yeah, stick with the lessons, if you can get to the end and play in time with him, you're on your way to some great Blue's Chops or at the very least sitting in and following....... :)

I'm still wanting to get the 2nd book.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@shadowraptor)
Trusted Member

I got it based on advice from the other threads. It's a great book and I have already purchased 'More BYCU' and 'BYCU Licks'.

I'm looking for a good primer on Classical/Flamenco guitar ... any ideas?

Have a safe and pleasant day.

Rob
Canada

Yamaha FG-730S
Crafter GAE45/N
Beaver Creek BCR8501
Yamaha CG-? (91)
Yamaha CG-171SF
Framus Texan 5/296 12-String
Takamini EG-345C 12-String
Indiana IN-BM5 Mandolin
M-Audio Oxygen 49 Keyboard

ReplyQuote
(@cuppajack)
Eminent Member

I picked this up a couple of weeks ago, and have found it a really great book. Perhaps the best guitar book I've used in my very limited experience.

I've been playing for about 3 months, and I find it very challenging (in a good way.) It took me quite some time to get the first lesson down (I blame the B7 chord) and now I'm struggling with the barre's in Lesson 2. So patience is definitely necessary when working through this one...

ReplyQuote
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member

Cuppa, I actually started BYCU when I was about 2 or 3 months in as well. I will say that I found the first 2 lessons much more difficult than the lessons that followed so take heart. Took me awhile to get the changes from single notes to barre chordes down cleanly, especially at the demo tempo.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Great book. I'm finishing BYCU and I ordered MBYCU and also the book on chords two weeks ago.

ph0nage, practice each part of the lessons and not just the studies.

I guess you know that the author has a forum to solve questions:

http://www.bluesyoucanuse.com/

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing for just 3 months now. Opened up the book last night. It's pretty sweet.

I got the first lesson going pretty clean going at 90 bpm. That's only because my friend/teacher had me practicing bar chords and pentatonics already. i'm looking forward to this!

It is nice to see different chords than i'm used to

ReplyQuote
(@shadowraptor)
Trusted Member

Most people avoid challenges and hard work in their leisure hours. I think it's neat that we welcome these challenges and repetitive hand-hurting exercises to learn new chords and tunes, and many of us are doing it only to entertain ourselves.

Keep up the great stuff Guys and Gals :)

Have a safe and pleasant day.

Rob
Canada

Yamaha FG-730S
Crafter GAE45/N
Beaver Creek BCR8501
Yamaha CG-? (91)
Yamaha CG-171SF
Framus Texan 5/296 12-String
Takamini EG-345C 12-String
Indiana IN-BM5 Mandolin
M-Audio Oxygen 49 Keyboard