Clear all

Body Shape

49 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Over the years, most manufacturers seem pretty conservative about getting too far away from shapes that are proven sellers, but there have always been a few innovators, like Bo Diddley, who were prepared to commission exotic shapes.

I've seen some crazy shaped guitars. Everything from heart shapes to guitars shaped like States in the USA.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

A leg rest for the Flying V? Interesting. I didn't know that. I usually rest the V shape of the guitar off my right leg. Bad thing was getting set right without hurting my back or wrist. I over came that thankfully.

I sort of thought the sound had to do with the companies making the guitars; like Gibsons sounding like a Gibson, Ibanez sounding like an Ibanez, Fender....sort of thing...err I'm lost.

The one thing I hear at the guitar shop is how a LP has a "warm" sound though.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

I think it's a matter of simple physics that you have to go with a pear shape to get a "nicely-rounded tone". :D

and if like mine... that "nicely-rounded tone" will be found on the bottom end.

Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

and if like mine... that "nicely-rounded tone" will be found on the bottom end.

:D :D

My body's pretty pear-shaped. I'm not sure how it affects my tone...

Mine too. And I enjoy lying back in my favourite armchair and nestling my acoustic on the padded surface of the pear. In the right position the whole pear seems to become part of the resonating process. 8)

Nothing quite like the feel of those bass note rumbling through the chest cavity and giving that sagging liver a vibro-massage... :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Over the years, most manufacturers seem pretty conservative about getting too far away from shapes that are proven sellers, but there have always been a few innovators, like Bo Diddley, who were prepared to commission exotic shapes.

I've seen some crazy shaped guitars. Everything from heart shapes to guitars shaped like States in the USA.

Absolutely. Particularly in the last few years.

But if you look at guitars over the past 60 years you'll see that the great majority have stuck to a pretty conservative plan. Almost all manufacturers today have a Les Paul copy, a Stratocaster copy, and so on. And that's where most of their sales come from. And how old are those designs? 50 years or so. The Flying V is one of the few different shapes to catch on on any numbers that I can think of recently.

I'm not sure why we don't see more guitars made of hi-tech materials, or designed in more imaginative ways. Maybe it's tradition, maybe it's tone, maybe it's cost, or perhaps it's just that the most buyers still want to buy something that looks like the gear their heroes used to play?

Maybe we're just a year or two away from the next major innovation in guitar design? :D

Cheers, Chris.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

A leg rest for the Flying V? Interesting. I didn't know that. I usually rest the V shape of the guitar off my right leg. Bad thing was getting set right without hurting my back or wrist. I over came that thankfully.

A Steinberger leg rest would be perfect for a F-V. It could replace the ribbed rubber traction pad on the bottom. Not sure where to buy one.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@freaky_nell)
Eminent Member

I read of someone who made an LP (body) out of solid granite, for qualification as a master stonemason. He fitted a proper neck, pickups, etc..
The thing really played, had tons of sustain and weighed a ton, too.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

But if you look at guitars over the past 60 years you'll see that the great majority have stuck to a pretty conservative plan.....................The Flying V is one of the few different shapes to catch on on any numbers that I can think of recently.

Flying V - introduced 1958!

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

But if you look at guitars over the past 60 years you'll see that the great majority have stuck to a pretty conservative plan.....................The Flying V is one of the few different shapes to catch on on any numbers that I can think of recently.

that explains why i've never liked em. that's the year i was "introduced" also :lol:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Yup, strat, tele, LP, SG, Explorer, Flying V and Firebird (Z-shape) are all old-timers. daisy Rock has a line with bodies like flowers, hearts and butterflies though.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Do you have to be such a smartarse Greybeard? That's not the first time you've jumped in and put down me down.

You complained to me that you'd attracted a "stalker" who likes to "correct" your posts, but it's Ok when you have snide digs though is it? :evil:

I didn't said that the V was a new design, I said that it was one of the few shapes (other than the traditional ones that I'd mentioned) that was different and had caught on in any numbers.

To the best of my knowledge, it was largely a marginal curiosity for many years (as were many other unusual shapes). It didn't seem to have achieved a larger popularity until relatively recently (compared to the others).

Doubtless this will provoke a ten paragraph history lesson from you, but I'm just going to risk it.... :(

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Sorry, Chris, it wasn't meant to be a put down and I'm sorry you took it that way. I apologise.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I really like the Warlock body shape. Though most of the ones I've seen have floating bridges, or at least I think they do, which I don't want. But I do have one question, its about this guitar here:

http://www.music123.com/BC-Rich-Platinum-Bich-2003-i98739.music?t=1#tab

Does it have a floating bridge? And if not, what kind of bridge is it?

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

I really like the Warlock body shape. Though most of the ones I've seen have floating bridges, or at least I think they do, which I don't want. But I do have one question, its about this guitar here:

http://www.music123.com/BC-Rich-Platinum-Bich-2003-i98739.music?t=1#tab

Does it have a floating bridge? And if not, what kind of bridge is it?

That's a fixed bridge, probably string through. Very stable, and will stay in tune, Just no whammy (tremelo) bar though.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Ahh ok. Now I get to decide which I want more, that one or a Gibson Faded Flying V. I hate tough decisions. Now to weigh the choices......*grabs a quarter* Anyone know what heads means?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4