Clear all

Bolt-On Neck Question

14 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Well, I try my best not to be a guitar snob, particularly because I prefer Epiphones over Gibsons, but I can't help it when it comes to certain things. For one thing, I have absolutely HATED every bolt-on neck guitar I have ever laid hands on but one (A Yamaha Pacifica Strat copy). Is this because I haven't played the right bolt-on guitars? I've only played cheapos with bolt on necks, so it might just be the general low quality of the guitar. Strat guys, feel free to set me straight :lol:

Thanks

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, nothing's wrong with a bolt on neck.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

So, it's the cheap construction of the guitar that makes it feel lifeless?

Sorry, I've never played anything nice with a bolt on neck :P

Thanks Ricochet

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yep. A well done bolt on neck works as well as any other kind.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Yep. A well done bolt on neck works as well as any other kind.

Here's another fan of bolt on necks.

You don't practice as Dr. Frank. N. Stein offline do you? :P

Maybe I'll get a second opinion..... Just doesn't look like it would have quite the sustain I'd be looking for... :wink:

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

hahah

I'm not a fan of bolt on neck guitars, but it doesn't really have anything to do with the neck...Just the sound from the strat, isn't really my thing, more to do with the pups I think.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

See, old Frankie did OK with his bolt on neck. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

On a slightly different note, is anyone aware of a Strat-style guitar with a set neck?

I love the Strat shape but I can't get over the neck :oops:

Thanks and Rock On

Ethan

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I have a Fender Telecaster FMT HH, made in Korea with a set neck. I am not sure if Fender ever put out a set neck Strat.

There are some makers who put out Strat copy with a set neck. From what I hear, Carvin makes very nice guitars. They are direct order, so I haven't had a chance to check one out in a store. Check out their website:

http://www.carvin.com/products/gisList.php?CID=SB&Hand=R

There are surely other makers: I think Schecter must make set neck Strat style guitars.

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks man. Rock On

Ethan

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hah!!!!
We meet again.

What is it about the bolt on neck that you don't like????
Playing up high on the neck, the fat heel getting in your way????

If that's the issue, it's easily fixed.
As any acoustic player knows that hiting the high end of the fretboard is a bit difficult.
It is overcome by taking your thumb from around the back of the neck and
placing it on the bottom of the neck - in a natural position, sorta sticking out pointing
to the front.
This rids you of the problem of the bulkiness of the neck up there and makes it easier
for the knuckles of your fretting fingers to work more naturally and comfortably.
It does require you to push back more with your arm - as you wont have your thumb to
anchor your hand any longer.

As far as set neck Fender Strat's go -
For a more traditional strat look - check into the Eric Johnson signature Strat.
Not a set neck - though some mods have been made to the neck profile.

Also - you as an SG guy might like Fender's American Special series Strat-O-Sonic guitars.
Mahogany body with tone chambers, choice of Humbuckers or P-90 style single coils.
And they might just have set necks.
I'm not certain.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks. I'll look into it, and I'll check my hand positioning next time I pick up a "Frankenstein" guitar :lol:

Like I said, I love the Strat style and sound, I just dont like the neck heel.

Thanks again and Rock On

Ethan

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I have a variety of bolt on and glued neck guitars. I kind of like the set neck guitars but am happy playing the bolt ons. I think I'm just happy to play any guitar.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I used to prefer set-neck and neck-thru-body guitars, thinking they somehow must be superior to the 'lowly' bolt-on. But I've owned more fun-play/sounding, good-vibe guitars that had bolt-on necks. And so somewhere along the way, I lost that preference.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote