books that help

20 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
 sean
(@sean)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Also can anyone suggest some good song books to learn from with stuf thats easy to play, i wanna make some noise!!!!!

Cheers

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

Sean

sean
(@sean)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

LOL Cheers for that i have been looking through the lessons and they all look pretty good!! maybe i should do some work so i can buy that new guitar though.....my boss wont be impressed if he find out the i have been browsing guitarnoise for the last 4 hours!!(':twisted:')

thanks for your suggestion GM

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

Sean

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

my boss wont be impressed if he find out the i have been browsing guitarnoise for the last 4 hours!!(':twisted:')

Of course that all depends on the type of work you do. I am a network analyst. I'm not reading the messageboards at GN.. I am merely testing the network on a consistant basis to determine accessibility to the internet for my users.

I havent found the books to be too useful. Mostly because its hard to get motivated to use them. But I agree 100% with using the lessons here, and probably a few other places on the net. Its not as interactive as having a teacher to report to but its atleast the next best thing.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 sean
(@sean)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Excellent ...time for a career change i think!!! but for now i hope you will let everyone know if there is any inconsistancies with the network..... i will keep my eye on it for you as well ....just to make sure.....as i wouldnt want anything to go wrong........

yeah i've been thinking of getting a few lessons to really get the basics set in stone.................

Sean

ReplyQuote
(@jimmy_kwtx)
Estimable Member

Some good books to try would be the -- Berklee Modern Method for Guitar -- Awsome in teaching you theory, scales, chords, chordal playing and just plain basic guitar. Or I am fond of all the Mel Bays series.

Song books I like to mes around with I usually find at the library. They are standards, and they tend to be piano/guitar books so they focus a bit on chords more, but you can get one with a title of -- the greatest songs of the 70's, the greatest love songs of the 90's, sometimes you will even find an Anthology on a particular artist and this one has just about every song they put out when that book was published.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I found the Hal Leonard series of play along books to be really good since you get the transcription and a CD to hear how it's played along with a backing track minus guitar.

There are about 30 different books in all styles, 90"s music, classic rock, hard rock, Blues etc.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I found early on the Troy Stetina Book "Total Rock" to be fun.

The very first "lesson/song" is a blast to play and very easy.

I was "Making Noise" very quickly... :)

I'd suggest if/when you get some time, visit a local book store, they have a ton of lesson books and song books. Take your time and thumb through them to find something that is both simple, yet somewhat challenging for you.

I have full 3' wide shelf of differnt lesson/song books and I'm starting on a second shelf just for song books.

Good luck :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
 sean
(@sean)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the advice i will go to my local bookstore at the weekend!!!

Sean

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

I'll second the suggestion for "A Modern Method for Guitar" by William Leavitt. That is the book I am using to learn to read music. I like the exercises (solos, duets and etudes) because there are nice melodies involved, rather than the standard 'twinkle twinkle, little stars' and 'mary had a little lamb' types of songs.

ReplyQuote
(@joevan)
Eminent Member

I'll second Dagwood on this, it's a good book to make some noise with, and gives you confidence that you can actually play something that sounds reasonable. It falls down a little on teaching the concepts behind what you are playing, but as a beginner you'd tend to want to make some noise first and only at a later date do you start to question what it is your actually playing - or at least thats what happened to me!

Can't pass comment on the William Leavitt book, but I am currently using Music Reading for guitar by David Oakes and Music Theory by Tom Kolb (one of the Hal Leonard series) - for me at this point they are filling in some rather large gaps in my theory understanding :)

ReplyQuote
 sean
(@sean)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Cheers Joevan i will look that one up on amazon to see if i can get hold of a copy!!

Sean

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Try Noteboats theory book. I havent purchased it yet, but I plan to. Its supposed to be quite helpfull from what I read. And, he clearly knows ALOT about theory. So, the book has to be good.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

of course it depends which level you're. If you've just started, i suggest you an excellent book by a french guitarist (check http://www.mega-muse.com ). It does not spend much time with theory but being based upon learning some fundamental strummin patterns in differnt styles (pop-rock, folk, blues), it really helps you play songs in a very short-time. The second part of the book (which I've never tackled til now) deals with scales and solos. Of course when you've completed it you can go ahead learning new chords, barre, new techniques, embelishments, whatever you like but you'll do it with a strong and solid grasp on rhythms

Matteo

p.s. i'm not sure if it is available in English since I've got the Italian version

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I'll second Dagwood on this, it's a good book to make some noise with, and gives you confidence that you can actually play something that sounds reasonable. It falls down a little on teaching the concepts behind what you are playing, but as a beginner you'd tend to want to make some noise first and only at a later date do you start to question what it is your actually playing - or at least thats what happened to me!

I'll third it! Some of the lessons are very easy and sound great. Others are much more advanced and also sound great! And there's a variety of styles - metal, punk, ska, rockabilly, southern rock. Joevan's mini-review is very accurate - the book's not great for theory, but the tunes are lots of fun to play.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2