Notifications
Clear all

Borrowing Strings? Help!?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@sgfjacobs1)
Topic starter  

I have always have a hard time trying to play songs using all 6 strings since I only have 5 fingers :lol: hehe. But I think its called borrowing when you use one finger to hold all 6 strings while playing the other notes. But I'm really having a hard time getting a clear sound from all 6 strings. I can't seem to find a lesson on how to do this anywhere. Below is some of what I'm trying to play. Thanks

D A G A
E---5---5---3---5---|
B---5---5---3---5---|
G---7---5---3---5---|
D---7---7---5---7---|
A---5---7---5---7---|
E---5---5---3---5---|

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

It's calling 'barring' and such a chord would be a barre-chord. You would put your index finger over all strings and fret the higher frets with your other fingers. Roll your index finger over slightly. Don't forget this is tough when you begin with this, it can take a while before you get it.

ReplyQuote
(@sgfjacobs1)
Topic starter  

It's calling 'barring' and such a chord would be a barre-chord. You would put your index finger over all strings and fret the higher frets with your other fingers. Roll your index finger over slightly. Don't forget this is tough when you begin with this, it can take a while before you get it.

hey thanks Arjen, :lol: i knew it was called something with a B :lol: Thanks for the tip on rolling my index finger slightly is really does help! thanks a bunch :D

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

GuitarNoise's very own David Hodge has an article in the current issue of Play Guitar Magazine all about learning to use barre chords.

Go find a copy at "better newsstands everywhere".

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

LOL, Rats! i thought maybe someone had some spare high E strings to loan :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

Barre chords are difficult for everyone at first. Over time you will build hand strength, tougher skin on your finger, and better hand/finger placement. My advice is to keep at it regularly (without injuring yourself) and eventually it will come easily. Good luck and have fun!

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

It takes a while to get the right feel. I also slightly roll my index finger, but in addition I slightly bend the finger. It takes a little playing around with it to get it so all of the strings ring clean. Since everyone is built with different size and shaped hands, the exact technique will be a little different.

Good luck!

By the way, you're not from the southern US, are you? I know some southerners who sound like "barring" when they say "borrowing."

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote