Bought my first music book, help...

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@apache)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi,
I decided as I'd learnt a few chords to go and but a book - so i got the best of Nirvana, and would like to play smells like teen spirit...

It shows the standard music notation, with the chords written above this, and the tab below.

apologies if this seems really, but the chords don't match the tab

ie it shows:-

e5

but the tab is

and A5 with tab

x

in my naive view I would have thought the tab would be

and

X

Am I misinterpreting something here? I can't make either of tem sound like the intro to teen spirit, but that is probably the player!

Thanks
Apache

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

The way you are used to playing it is with the octave included. A straight power chord as the book is showing is just the root and 5th so only two notes.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Am I misinterpreting something here? I can't make either of tem sound like the intro to teen spirit, but that is probably the player!

I think the original recording is in F, not the key of E, so it's not going to sound right ... does the book tell you to use a capo on the first fret, maybe?

cnev is right, a "5" chord or "power chord" has only two notes (and isn't technically a chord). So E5 has E and B (02xxxx), or E, B and a higher octave E (022xxx) as you mentioned, and which is also correct. Either way, only two different notes.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I think the original recording is in F, not the key of E, so it's not going to sound right ... does the book tell you to use a capo on the first fret, maybe?

Yep - the original recording has the power chord sequence F-Bb-Ab-Db

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Ooops yea I missed that one. The original was F-Bb-Ab-Db

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote