Brackets around tab note?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Leek
(@leek)
Topic starter  

Hi,

I've been playing guitar a little while, and I currently have trouble figuring out what the brackets around this tab means. I've searched all of the internet about the nature of the bracket and there's so many different responses for it. From looking at a youtube video, someone explained it's a grace note where you need to make a quick hammer on? If so, would it even be possible to do it for these awkwardly positioned fingers.

In case you are all wondering, the song is Black Dog by Led Zeppelin (I hear it's an easy beginner song...)

I appreciate the replies!

(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

Hi Leek

In this instance the brackets there are called "courtesy accidental". It is there because there are 3 sharp signs at the beginning of the bar as seen on the music notation. Those 3 little signs that look like noughts and crosses boxes indicate that every F, C and G note needs to be played as F sharp, C sharp and G sharp.

However in your red box, The C sharps have changed to C naturals so the bracket around the C note in the music notation and the bracket around the number 3 in the tab are there to highlight a change to what has normally been happening in the music. The brackets don't HAVE to be there but they are as a reminder as to what is happening at that point, hence "courtesy accidental".

Hope this makes some sense. Tell me if it doesn't.

ReplyQuote
 Leek
(@leek)
Topic starter  

Hey thanks a lot. It's just more music theory i'm curious about.
Is there a reason why it's around that particular C note rather than the other one as well?

ReplyQuote
(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

Yes, because the 1st C note changes on the line where the sharp is situated, but the lower C note changes where there is no sharp sign so the brackets are there as a sort of reminder. Hope that helps.

ReplyQuote