Clear all

Busking!

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@specialk)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone I live just outside a large city, and am thinking of going busking, to make some money. The problem is i can't remember all of the songs I know off the top of my head so i was wondering what would be a good songbook to bring with me. I just want something with the lyrics and chords, not too complicated. If anyone has any suggestions or advice for me please pass on what you think!

Special K

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Get a Fake book there's like 1200 editions.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Gosh, I haven't done that in 25 years! Sure brings back memories....

Two things:

1) You don't need to know much. Nobody hangs out to listen for half an hour, so if you can remember just 3-5 tunes, you can just keep doing them. I used to play in train stations a lot, and your crowd changes every 10 minutes or so as the next train arrives.

2) When I did it (in Chicago, New York, and San Francisco) laws varied. At the time, it was illegal to busk in Chicago without a permit... and I never really got around to getting one. I don't know if it was technically illegal in NY, but I got rousted out of Washington Square once or twice. SF was ok with it, and I never had trouble there. So stay very, very portable if it's appropriate :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Where's the term come from? Anyone have any idea?

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

From http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=busking

1 entry found for busking.

busk P Pronunciation Key (bsk)
intr.v. busked, busk·ing, busks
To play music or perform entertainment in a public place, usually while soliciting money.

[Earlier, to be an itinerant performer, probably from busk, to go about seeking, cruise as a pirate, perhaps from obsolete French busquer, to prowl, from Italian buscare, to prowl,, or Spanish buscar, to seek from Old Spanish boscar.]
busker n.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I remember a massive thread on busking. "To busk or not to busk" I think was what it was called. Maybe it wasn't so massive...Time is making me exaggerate it possibly.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote