Notifications
Clear all

Buying a new guitar

14 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@treesa25)
Topic starter  

Hey everyone....Just wanted to know if anyone here has ever bought a guitar off ebay. I am looking there because I don't have a whole lot of money and I really am interested in learning to play. If anyone has suggestions of an affordable, quality guitar in the $100-200 price range, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks everyone
Treesa

(@fiberoptik)
Estimable Member

Do not go through ebay.... !!!!

ReplyQuote
(@dgassie)

If this is your first guitar, I wouldn't recommend EBay. I think you would be best off by going to an established music store. They can help you choose the right instrument for you and set it up correctly.

It's easier than you can imagine to get a bad guitar that will be so uncomfortable or difficult to play, that it might turn you off the whole guitar thing.

Later, when you have more experience and know exactly what you're looking for, Ebay is a great source for deals sometimes. Good luck with your search.

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@fiberoptik)
Estimable Member

Sorry I didn't leave a longer response before... I was pressed for time :)
Anyway, yea ebay is a poor choice unless you know exactly what you want. If your looking for your first guitar you must first decide between Acoustic or electric. There are many great back available for about the $200 price mark. I personally like the silvertone electric package but everyone has there own preferences.
Your best bet would be to go down to your local Guitar Shop and check out a fre instruments. Get a feel for the differents weights and scales, when you find on eyou like pick it up and then go for a small practice amp for the time being. You can always upgrade later.

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I bought my first guitar on ebay, not having any idea what I was doing. I got lucky and got a great deal on a guitar that I am very pleased with, and will be for some time. A number of more experienced players than I (whom I respect) have agreed that it's a fine guitar - I've even had an offer to purchase it at a profit.

That said, I agree with the consensus so far. Go to the guitar store and not ebay. I got lucky, plain and simple.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

If your looking for something vintage or off the wall e-bay might be the only way to go. If your looking for a bargan you'd be better off in the classified ads, music shop trade ins, & paun shops where you can feel out the instruments before buying.

BTW anybody have an Ovation Typhoon bass gathering dust?

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I bought two $700 guitars for under $500 each on eBay, but I knew exactly what I was looking for.

I concur with the responses above. For entry-level guitars, go to a store, as they will help you decide what's right, and provide additional information. You're not going to save $100 on a $200 guitar on eBay.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

If you are looking to go the acoustic way, perhaps you should look into a used guitar from your local store. I recently got myself a really nice Seagull s6 for $200.

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@abeidson)
Trusted Member

I just purchase my guitar off e-bay.. but I also knew what I was looking for and the price for it locally.. If you are looking for an Acoustic guitar then for a first guitar I would recommend a Washburn D-10.. they are a fairly inexpensive Solid Top guitar and have great tone. You may be able to find those new locally for $200.00 (I've seen it new on e-bay for about 170 after shipping) . Seagull also makes a great acoustic as well that is in the 200 dollar range.. though the local shop here only sells it with a case so it was around 300.00 dollars when all was said and done. If you are looking for an electric there are plenty of good starter kits that most local shops have for around 200 bucks that include everything you need.

I wanna Rock N Roll all night... Ahh who am I kidding I'll be in bed at 9 pm....

ReplyQuote
(@treesa25)
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone...what a helpful bunch you all are. I have been to a few local shops but it seems that I often have been taken advantage of on the quote prices being that I'm a newbie. After getting the prices, I'd do some research and find that they were much higher than needed. I am going to try to finish a bid for an Ibanez on ebay, spoke to the seller, he seems like a nice guy and he's guaranteeing (is this a word?) it. That's my final check with ebay and if I lose, I will be heading out to try to find a good deal.
I look forward to starting my new adventure playing and am sure I'll be around asking more questions than humanly possible. Thanks for all the feedback.
much love
treesa

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Try http://www.craigslist.org

ReplyQuote
(@stjames1759)
Eminent Member

I would get someone who plays guitar to go down to a pawnshop with you and find the best thing for $100. Learn some open chords and riffs and see if you want to continue playing. If you think you're going to stick with it, skip the $200 - $400 guitars and get something nicer that you can play for years and be happy with.

ReplyQuote
(@treesa25)
Topic starter  

Just wanted to let everyone know I finally bought a guitar...went to a local music store and I fell in love with a used Takamine EG530SC...got an AMAZING deal and I've been playing for days, practically nonstop. It's sound is incredible and I can't tell you enough how pleased I am. Playing is addicting and I've been able to pick up on a few chords and am starting to feel really comfortable. I'm stoked!!!!

:wink:
Treesa

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

Congrats on the new purchase. I hope you wil both be very happy :D

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote