Clear all

Buzzing and string gauge

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@bluesmann1124)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I can switch fairly well between C D G and Em but notice a buzzing when I am strumming (particularly when strumming up). I know that it is my technique that is to blame but I'm not sure where the problem is since my fingers match the way they are positioned in chord illustrations. Any suggestions?

Also, my strings are fairly heavy gauge steel and I was thinking of having them switched to exlir when I have them replaced next.

(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

With the chord fingered try playing each of the strings individually with both up and down strokes and see if you still get the buzz. If not then perhaps you're striking too hard when you strum or the angle you strum at is pulling the string up away from the fretboard more than you should. If you still get the buzz when playing single strings then try adjusting your finger positions. If you can't make it go away then you might need to get the guitar setup.

As for Elixirs, they're ok but I found them too slippery (both the poly and nano web versions). Some people like them but I like the D'Addario EXP coated strings much better. Worth giving both a try though.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

If you've tried the above post and the strings don't buzz when fretted individually, make sure you're putting enough pressure on the strings when fingering the chords, and that you're fingering close enough to the frets.

Denny

ReplyQuote