Clear all

Wrong string gauge

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@aarrgg)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well, I've just bought a new set of strings but apparently I've got the wrong size. The new ones are 0.009 and the old ones were 0.010. I guess these aren't as strong as the others so the bridge has lowered. The first 5 strings sounds good open but if I push down a fret they sound terrible. The 6th string sounds terrible open and doesn't sound at all while a fret is pushed down. Is it possible to make adjustments on the guitar to make it sound good again or should I just buy new strings again?

"I face myself, to cross out what I've become
erase myself, and let go of what I've done"
- Linkin Park

(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member

I'm not an expert in this field by any stretch of the imagination, but my guess would be that the different guage strings require a different tension to get the same state of tune (hence, the bridge has moved). I am guessing you have a floating tremolo or something? I'd hazard a guess that the intonation needs checking as well as perhaps the counter-spring in the guitar body which allows the bridge to float?
If strings are not ringing then that sounds like the action is too low (which would be consistent with my theory as a lower tension on the strings vs a higher tension in the counter-spring would pull the bridge towards the guitar body) and that the string(s) are not clearing the frets when played.
Reason for me saying this is that these are the adjustments I had to make on my Pacifica when I went from 09's to 10's (the reverse of you).
If nobody else comes along here to correct me, I'd suggest try raising the action a bit and see what happens. It's something that's simple and can easily be put back again. Of course, if you're using the tremolo bar a lot then you probably want to set up the floating trem properly, which involves tweaking the spring tension as well . . . I'll let someone else step in at this point. :oops:

HTH. :)

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

From your post it sounds like you have some type of floating trem. What type of guitar is it, and what type of trem does it have?

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

And if it is a floating bridge (a guitar with a whammy bar, springs in the back behind the plate), it might just be easiest to restring it with the original gauge string. Otherwise you will have to adjust the intonation.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Did I mention I hate floating trems? ....... :lol: Yeah, get a set of 10's, eat the loss and save yourself the grief.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

If it's not a floating trem, then it may need a minor truss rod adjustment to get some relief back in the neck.

Going back to a 10-gauge set of strings will be an alternative fix for that too.

And, like everyone has said, if it is a floating trem, then going back to 10s should solve the problem.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Did I mention I hate floating trems? ....... :lol: Yeah, get a set of 10's, eat the loss and save yourself the grief.
I had mine blocked. I rarely have use for a tremolo bar. And that guitar now works great for slide too.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like a floater. IF you wanted the new guage, you can take the back cover off behind the bridge on the back side of the guitar, There will be 2-4 (2 likely) good sized springs, complete with screw near the top side of them. These screws adjust the tension of the bridge/trem unit. Pretty easy to do, but time consuming. It's an adjust/tune/look and repeat as needed until it's where you like it. Done it a few times and it's been good so far. However, there still is a chance that you would need to mess with intonation and other setup issues. Frankly, I'd rather sandpaper a wild-cats butt inside a phone booth than mess with a complete set-up on floating bridge/trems.

If you attempt this, make very careful notes about how much you turn the screws. If all else fails, you can go back to where you started, snip the strings and go buy the ones you were using.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@aarrgg)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Yes, it's a floating tremolo, wasn't sure what it was called. I guess it's easiest to switch back to 10.

- Linkin Park

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Yes, it's a floating tremolo, wasn't sure what it was called. I guess it's easiest to switch back to 10.

Unfortunately, if it's a Floyd Rose type, you'll probably still need to adjust the trem to get it back in proper playing order. Reference link if ya need it . . .

http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html

Read through this and you'll know why I think Floyd Rose trems were invented as part of a nefarious plot to drive guitarists insane.

They're tools of the Devil I tell ya! they'll warp your innocent MINDS! JUST SAY NO!!!!

Did I mention I really don't like Floyd Rose trems?

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@aarrgg)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Unfortunately, if it's a Floyd Rose type, you'll probably still need to adjust the trem to get it back in proper playing order. Reference link if ya need it . . .

http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html

Read through this and you'll know why I think Floyd Rose trems were invented as part of a nefarious plot to drive guitarists insane.
I got some new strings today and switched them without much trouble. Thanks to your link I learned how the fine tuners work.

- Linkin Park

ReplyQuote