Clear all

cables

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

just bought a used Gibson LP Studio. Have only been playing acoustic for a few months, so i'm really just learning whats going on here, but having a blast and really getting the bug.

What kind of cable do i need for the LP? I'll be plugging it into a little Honeytone practice amp at first.

I hear that cables are something i'll want to spend some money on to make sure it doesnt negatively impact the sound of the guitar or amp.

Can someone help point me in the right direction on cables?

Also, seems like a lot of the beginnner lessons on this site are geared towards the acoustic guitar. Are there easy songs to recommend for an electric beginner...to get me going.

Thanks!

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

just bought a used Gibson LP Studio.

Congratulations, nice guitar.
What kind of cable do i need for the LP? I'll be plugging it into a little Honeytone practice amp at first.

I hear that cables are something i'll want to spend some money on to make sure it doesnt negatively impact the sound of the guitar or amp.

Buy a good quality cable - although we've had several discussions as to whose cables are good quality. Make sure that the cable is well shielded, to stop stray signals being picked up - radio stations and police bands are not unusual. I tend to buy the jacks and cable and make the thing myself.
Also, seems like a lot of the beginnner lessons on this site are geared towards the acoustic guitar. Are there easy songs to recommend for an electric beginner...to get me going.

Thanks!

Any of the lessons on GN are just as good on electric as on acoustic - you just get a different sound.

Oh, yes, welcome to the madhouse!

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

The cable is a big factor in your tone but, a Honeytone amp with a Gibby? I'd save up at least 200-300 bucks for an decent amp.. BTW congrats, how much did the Gibby cost?

welcome too guitarnoise! 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

A bad cable will ruin your day, but it will be years before you can tell the difference between a "good" cable and a "great" cable.

In my opinion, avoid Hosa (bad), and don't waste your money on Monster. ProLine is reasonable, as are other mid-priced brands. Also, don't get a short cable - 10-foot is the minimum, 25-foot is nice for wandering around.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

The cable is a big factor in your tone but, a Honeytone amp with a Gibby? I'd save up at least 200-300 bucks for an decent amp.. BTW congrats, how much did the Gibby cost?

I will definitely save up for a nicer amp, but for the next month or so, the Honeytone will have to do. got the LP for $500

Are all cables universal fitting all elec guitars?

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I too have an LP Studio that I'm desparetely in love with, so congrats on that as well!

I just picked up a Mogami cable to replace my now busted Ernie Ball cable. The Mogami was pretty pricey, but it seems extremely strong and well put together.

No disrespect to Laz, because he's the man, but I'll disagree with the comment about longer cables being better. Likely true live, but in the studio and/or practice room I'm finding that more and more often, shorter is better: less clutter, less "rats nest", less cleanup.

Just different strokes for different folks, I suppose; weigh your needs before you buy.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

monster cables are the best, always remember if you play with crap, you will smell like crap. :?

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

In my opinion, avoid Hosa (bad), and don't waste your money on Monster.
-Laz
With only 18 months experience with my Monster cables I'm pretty happy with them. Hell of a lot better than the crap they sent me home with when I first bought a guitar.

What is your knock on them? Longevity or Tone? Or ???

Always looking for a simple upgrade.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

In my opinion, avoid Hosa (bad), and don't waste your money on Monster.
-Laz
With only 18 months experience with my Monster cables I'm pretty happy with them. Hell of a lot better than the crap they sent me home with when I first bought a guitar.

What is your knock on them? Longevity or Tone? Or ???

Always looking for a simple upgrade.

Michael

No knock, they are very good cables - just not worth the extra money - to me.

Regarding length, if you only have one cable, make it long enough. If you get two cables, a 10-foot and 25-foot are a good range.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I purchased a Monster S100 21 footer for $25 US. at a local store. I didn't think that was a lot of money for a good quality cable. It's a far sight better than the Leem cable I had before. Of coarse I don't believe all the hype Monster uses in their ads either. I'd stay away from the under $10 cables. I also don't see how a $60 cable can be that much better than a $25 one.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote