Clear all

Callouses Shredding???

11 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@crazyistheforecast)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

When I began playing after about a week of consistent playing I developed blisters, which a few days later turned into callouses. After a while of playing with the callouses my fingertips started to shred/peel. As I continue to play the callouses shred more and more. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there anything I can do about this?

"I started this gangsta poop."

-Michael Edward Dunlap

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I've been playing since Feb and to this day they still do that. I get hangies that are kind of hard on my fingers. So, I bought a package of finger nail files and I file my finger tips. I dont do it so hard to get rid of the callous or anythign.. Just to make them smooth again.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Mine go through regular cycles of forming and shredding but oddly enough my fingers never get tender after a shredding cycle and it doesn't seem to effect my playing at all.
I think it is just the top layers of dead skin and there is a deeper callous still there.

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

Mine go through regular cycles of forming and shredding but oddly enough my fingers never get tender after a shredding cycle and it doesn't seem to effect my playing at all.
I think it is just the top layers of dead skin and there is a deeper callous still there.
Same here, they only completely go away if I stop playing for awhile.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

Same happens here (been playing for nearly two months now).

But same as missileman, don't have any tenderness or hypersensitivity post-shred. :)

Actually tried some moisturiser/vitamin E cream to see if that helped minimise the shredding but didn't seem to do all that much; not that I was very disciplined in applying the stuff anyway. :oops:

I think it's all a normal process anyway given that the skin is thicker in response to the stress/pressure being exerted ... I would assume the sloughing therefore occurs at a greater frequency. :?

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

I've never had this problem, maybe I just have naturally tougher skin than most people as my callouses never shred, I've never gotten blisters either.

Do you play soon after you get out of the shower/bath? Your skins much softer because of all the water its absorbed and they can shred very easily if your doing slides.

Or do you use hand lotion? Its possible that softening up your skin could make them shred more easily, although I don't have much experience on this.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I had this problem for awhile, and went the sanding-the-fingertips route. Haven't had to do it now for some time - never noticed until I read this thread.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@juletto)
Eminent Member

i'm a girl!!!!!!!

hemp cream is a great cream for extra dry skin my fingertips are still very hard but they remain smooth and never shred. because of this cream unless you are touching my fingers you can't tell i have callouses

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Hemp cream. What will they think of next? Use to just smoke it now you can rub it in. How cool. :lol:

If I remember correctly my callouses stopped peeling off in big chunks after about 6 months and now just shed a little but it is not even noticeable. I don't have to do anything with them just use em.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

that is the life cycle of callouses you are experiencing.

the dead skin at the top is what is peeling off. sometimes there will alot sometimes a little.
underneath there is a another callous.

just this morning I accidently cut the tip of my finger; ring finger of the fretting hand... a little chunk was cut off. so now I have a profile of my callous. it is pretty deep. about the thickness of an A string.
so theres proof that your cllouses form rather deep.

there was no bleeding. I just removed the dead layer.

you will experience all kinds of things with your callouses.

as long as you keep playing they will continue to form and reform.
even after a break they still exist.

they are our friends.

hhand lotion is a good idea all round. in the dry winter my fingers and hands get very dry. generous bouts of lotion always helps.

and the callouses keep form. happy little guys.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Hemp cream. What will they think of next? Use to just smoke it now you can rub it in. How cool. :lol:

Yeah, and it makes your guitar playing sound greeeeaaaat.... :lol:

My guitar playing buddies get big old callouses, but me, I had them right at the very very beginning, maybe a matter of days or a week at the most, then they dissappeared never to be seen again. Now it feels like I have absolutely no callouses, but i don't experience any pain when playing or any sort of skin shedding. It's odd.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote