Skip to content
Yamaha DW15 - a lot...

Notifications
Clear all

Yamaha DW15 - a lot of guitar for the money?

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Having read A J Charons article on what to look for in an acoustic guitar I noticed he stressed Ebony for the bridge (as well as Rosewood and Ash), so I was searching the web for guitars up to £500 to see what they were made of etc etc. I plan on trying everything in the shop(s) eventually, but I'd like to go in with a few models in mind, so I can at least find the right shop.

Anyway, this spec:
http://www.yamaha-europe.com/yamaha_europe/uk/10_musical_instruments/30_guitars_basses_amps/10_acoustic_guitars_western/10_acoustic_guitars_western/10_dw_guitars/15_DW15/index.html

sounds pretty impressive for a guitar currently available on the web for £299 so I thought I would add a post here to hear what others think, either regards this particular model or Yamaha's in general.

(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

I can't comment on this specific model. But i have bought three Yamaha's now and in my opinion they are a lot of guitar for the cash..

they are built like tanks, play nicely out the box, what more can you want?

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

One of my playibng buddies has one. Ditton on the made like a tank. It was about a $300 guitar about 5-10 years ago. Plays nicely, nice bright sound, etc.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I bought a Yamaha FGX Limited Edition because it was, in my opinion, the best sounding guitar I tried in the under-US$350 category. It is similar to the one you are looking at - solid Engelman spruce top, rosewood back and sides (mine is a 3-ply, not solid like the DW15), ebony fingerboard and bridge.

There's an interesting review and comparison with some other models here: http://www.acousticguitar.com/issues/ag131/feature131.html

Not sure about the v-shaped neck they used in the DW15; mine is not like that at all.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@mr_clean001)
Estimable Member

I don't have a Yamaha but my best friend does and he loves it. He has even named it and swears by it from an acoustic standpoint. Considering he has been playing for nearly 20 years I have to give his advice some weight.

Let us know what you end up getting.

"Practice until you get a guitar welt on your chest...if it makes you
feel good, don't stop until you see the blood from your fingers.
Then you'll know you're on to something!"
- Ted Nugent

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

My little brother's first guitar was a yamaha acoustic, and it was truly great. The sound is not going to blow you away, but it's plenty respectable, and the feeling is perfect: even action, very decent fretwork, etc. All for $200.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

I don't know that particular model, but I'd agree with everybody's assessment of Yamaha in general. They make some very good guitars for the money.

Yamahas are frequently recommended for students here because of their combination of good value, reliability and quality.

As always, it's good to play not only the model you're interested in (to see if it suits your style) but also the actual guitar you are going to buy. No two guitars are exactly identical because they are made of wood and therefore can have small variations in character. However, if you're still at the stage where you can't feel or hear those sorts of differences then it probably doesn't matter too much, particularly if you stick to the better brands and don't buy rock bottom cheapies. (EDIT: Whoops, after discovering your other thread about your search I can see that piece of advice is already redundant!! :wink: )

I have two Yamahas (a classical style with nylon strings and a Pacifica Strat copy) and have been really pleased with both of them.

Good hunting. :D

ReplyQuote