Clear all

Callus

15 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've realized that parts of my callus go off very often and what's left is a bit of "naked skin".
Is there any trick how to keep it more easy or is it just a matter of fact, that it goes off every now and then? and what is "every now and then"?

thanks in advance for your great support

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Hi, amazed you haven't had another reply to this. However there have been numerous threads on here about this already, so you might want to try searching under your thread's title on the search option on this site.

Basically, everyone's skin is different. Some people find it harder to build up a callous than others. But there are certain things you can do to help things along the way.

Firstly, do NOT under any circumstances pick at the callous - if you tear it, this will make your problem ten times worse.

Second, get a nail file, (emery board type) and gently just rub any loose bits away, and generally just keep them tidy - you do not want too thick a callous as you'll find the skin will not return to normal after fretting a string, you'll have a big groove in it. Just keep the callous smooth.

Some people have suggested wiping with surgical spirit - try this as it might help toughen them up a bit.

I do suggest you do a search though, there is tons of info on here on this subject.

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

I had a little time, so here's a link you may find helpful:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10697&highlight=

Matt has good points here, I would re-iterate that if you get a peice of skin hanging off a callus don't pull it off. If it's fairly large trim it with some fingernail clippers and the file it away. Other than that it's time, patience and playing.

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

I file my callouses once a week. No problems.

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you all for your help!

Glad, I didn't pull it off. :) (That's something I generally don't do. I think you just increase the wound...)

I have a hard time using the search function as it mostly brings back an 404-error :(
So thanks for the link!!!
I know it's an issue with my ie, maybe I have to set it up all again...

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I file mine down with sandpaper.

I find that calluses are a good indicator as to how much you use a certain finger. If you don't think you are using your pinky enough..... check for calluses.

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

I can remember the day I first noticed the callouse on my pinky, strange the things we can take pleasue in at times.

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

I can remember the day I first noticed the callouse on my pinky, strange the things we can take pleasue in at times.

Hey, what do you know! I got a callouse on my pinkie, too. I just never noticed it until reading this thread. I guess I am giving it some exercise after all!

Also good suggestion about the emery board/sandpaper. Never thought of that. Mine do get kind of thick and I get imprints of strings on my fingertips. Thanks.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've thought about sandpaper too, but hesitated.
Now I feel more "save" when using it once in a while.
and my pinky seems to get a bit of training too :D

thanks!!!

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote
(@longdave)
Trusted Member

How many others out there have to fight the urge to nibble the rough bits off your fingertips?

Or am I just being really wierd?

:oops:

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

Nibble? Most of the time I want to knaw on them. As a matter of fact I've knawed so much my calluses from playing are now on my knuckles as I have no fingers left. :cry:

Nibbling is a fairly common afflictiion I'd say. :wink:

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote
(@nwoodgirl)
Trusted Member

How many others out there have to fight the urge to nibble the rough bits off your fingertips?

Or am I just being really wierd?

:oops:
I do. Can't seem to help it. :roll: Are your calluses temperature sensitive? Now that it is cold they hurt when I go out without gloves.

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

temperature sensitive?
I'd never thought this is possible. Isn't callouse jsut an extra layer (or a few) supposed to protect better
:shock:

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I use Burt's Bee Balm on mine after I hang up the guitar for the evening.

I don't know if it works, but I have never lost or damaged a callous,

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Alright, I know this is gonna gross people out, but when the tips of my fingers start to peel, I bite that skin off and spit it. Yeah, and I'm proud of it too! You want to make something of it? You better watch out, I'll spit a finger callous at you!! :twisted:

And by the way, I saw all the different spellings, so I went to a dictionary and looked it up. Callous is singular, Calluses is plural.

Here's spittin' at cha!

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote