Clear all

Can I trust my own ear?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I have an electric tuner that seems pretty reliable, and I use it when I feel I can't get my guitar in tune by ear. However, sometimes even when it claims to be in tune it doesn't sound quite right. This doesn't always apply to my guitar but often other ones I use. Is it a safe bet that my ears are correct, or is it that the strings need replacing? I don't change my strings often as I there aren't many local guitar shops.

(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

If it happens mainly when playing other people's guitars, odds are your ear is fine, you're just not accustomed to that particular guitar. I can tune my baby by ear no problem, but if Im playing any of my friend's guitars, it always sounds a little off to me. No big deal, you're just used to your sound.

My guitar is in the shop til saturday getting some bridge and saddle adjustments. Im in withdrawl. :(

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

If your saying that when you tune either your guitar or someone else's with the tuner and they both sounds off then it is probably the tuner.

Have you tried comparing it with another tuner to see if yours is off?

If you don't have access to another tuner go to my pages below and follow the link for AP Tuner for the PC and download it and try it.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote