Capo...?

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@superman37876)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Here's another newbie question...

If you put a capo on the fretboard does that change the way you play chords? Let's say you put a capo on the second fret; can you play 'D' as you normally would but it's just farther down the board?

Thanks!

Also...how do you add pictures and such below your username?

(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

If you put a capo on the fretboard does that change the way you play chords? Let's say you put a capo on the second fret; can you play 'D' as you normally would but it's just farther down the board?

Correct; the capo is considered the "nut" at that point.

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@superman37876)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Correct; the capo is considered the "nut" at that point.

Jim

Thanks for the quick response! Nice to know that the chords don't change even with the new "nut".

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

re: picture. Save the picture somewhere like photobucket.com. Then come back here and navigate as such.

User Control Panel -> Profile -> Edit avator

Enter the URL of the image and press submit.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@superman37876)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

re: picture. Save the picture somewhere like photobucket.com. Then come back here and navigate as such.

User Control Panel -> Profile -> Edit avator

Enter the URL of the image and press submit.

Thanks for the tip.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

If you put a Capo on 2 and pay a D chord, you're getting the notes G#, E, B, E, B (high to low) - you're getting a chord of E.

If you want to get a chord sounding as a D with a Capo on 2, you play a C

Let us know if any of this is foggy.

Best,

A :-

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@superman37876)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

If you put a Capo on 2 and pay a D chord, you're getting the notes G#, E, B, E, B (high to low) - you're getting a chord of E.

Best,

This is completely foggy... :(

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Best,

This is completely foggy... :(
Click this link for a great explantion on using a capo.

https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/the-underappreciated-art-of-using-a-capo/

It's written by GN's David Hodge and he breaks it down very well (as he does with everything else he teaches).

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

you can use the same chord-shapes as before, but the name of each chord will change, as the notes have changed. So, if you put a capo on the 2nd fret, you can still use the D chord-shape but, since all the notes have been raised by one tone (the open D string is now playing an E note, the a note originally played on the 3rd string becomes a B note, and so on), the chord-name has to change to reflect this (in this case being called an E chord,). Hope this helps, that's what Alan was saying above. I'm sure David's article goes into full detail though.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

David's lesson (kc guitar gave you the link above) will also give you a conversion table.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@chowlee)

I play a double neck and my fingers like the chords in the key of C better than D, so if I need to sing in D, I put the capo up 2 and go at it. If I decide to kick in the bass (without a capo, of course), I have to remember to play in D 'til I return to guitar

ReplyQuote