Clear all

Capo II

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@deanobeano)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Im think of getting a capo but im not sure how they work. If i put it on the the second fret for example would the the third fret becomes the frist ? So i would play chords that i would normally play at the frist fret at the third and they would just be in a different key ? Or would i have to learn new chords? I have a magazine which has a song in which uses a capo and it has chords but the has another chord underneath in brackets which i dont get.

Thanx

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Go to the lessons section of the site and read: The Underappreciated Art of Using a Capo

Don't forget there is much more to this site than just a forum.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Im think of getting a capo but im not sure how they work. If i put it on the the second fret for example would the the third fret becomes the frist ?
Exactly. A capo is like a movable nut.
So i would play chords that i would normally play at the frist fret at the third and they would just be in a different key ?
Open chords will. Barre chords will be no different, because they have their own "nut" - your index finger.
And follow Nick's advice.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

The Guitarnoise article explains it mostly.
The chord above is the shape you play relative to the CAPO the one in the brackets is the sound (actual chord) you will hear.
Example: Capo on 3rd fret.
E
(G)
Finger and E chord but the sound will actually be G.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

the chords in brackets are probably what the chords would be if you didn't use a capo.

i'd suggest a grip-type or pistol-shaped capo, because they're really quick and easy to use, and you can clip it onto the headstock when you're not using them.

ReplyQuote