Cattle Call for Beginner Guitarists

62 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
12 K Views
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

If you're a beginner up to advanced beginner guitarist, I'd like to call your attention to a collaborative jam invitation over on the Online Jams and Collaborations forum.

This is a jam for folks who have not participated in a jam before--a way to learn how to git 'er done, nice 'n easy like. :D

Here's a link to the Jam Incubator topic if you'd like to know more:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30248

Hope you'll come check it out! :D

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

I think I am a little too much of a beginner for that. I don't know how to record myself, anyway. Good idea, though. Hope you get lots of participants.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I think I am a little too much of a beginner for that. I don't know how to record myself, anyway. Good idea, though.
:lol: Oh no, Chickie, you can't get away that slick! You raised your hand, I saw it! :lol:

You're not too much of a beginner, I'm sure. You're playing some songs, and that is a good indication that you can do this. The backing track is very slow and mellow, and melodies are easy to devise alongside it. Truly.

We can talk you through hooking up to record into your computer. It's not hard.

Maybe you could listen to the backing track a little, mess around with the C Major pentatonic a little, and then decide??

I can post a link to ChordsandScales' flash tool that will show the box positions for any scale. I'll do that in a separate post in fact.

I hope you'll consider giving it a try. :D

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

For anyone who might like to play around with the backing track mentioned above, here is a great tool from GN member Misanthrope. It shows you the box positions on the fretboard for the pentatonic scales:

http://www.chordsandscales.co.uk/tools/pentatonic_scale_tool.exe

Click the link, then hit Run, and Run again.

When the flash tool opens, click on Box 1, Box 2, etc, to display various box positions moving up the fretboard. A "box" is just a moveable position where you can (but you're not required to) keep your fretting hand and play within. Click on the colored dots to display the root notes for minor, major, neutral, and the blue notes.

For this backing track, highlight the Major root (red dots) and use any box position where the major root is a C note. The C note is your "home" note (a place where you might start and end phrases or lead lines.)

For C Major pentatonic:
Box 1 is located from frets 5 through 8
Box 2 is located from frets 7 through 10
Box 3 is located from frets 9 through 13
Box 4 is located from frets 12 through 15
Box 5 is located from frets 14 through 17

With the boxes placed as above, the red dots will be C notes, the roots of the scale.

If I haven't explained this well, other kind souls will soon chime in here and help clarify.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Alright, I will give it a listen. I need to play with the scale though because I don't know any scales yet but if you all help me along, I will give this a try. It may take me a while though. :?

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Woohoo! Hope you find it's fun and easy! :D

I'm going to add an edit to my post about the flash tool above, so you might want to check it again later.

AND, there is NO timeline for this jam. We can take as looong as we want.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

oops...did I click on "Post Reply"?:oops: Now I have to say something...d'oh.
This is a neat idea, and I'm a qualified candidate, but I don't currently have the technology to participate. I first need to get my laptop repaired, as it is prone to shutting off for no apparent reason. Then I'll need to get a mic somewhere, and you have no idea how tight money is here, or how my guitar playing is "just a hobby" and not to interfere with more important things, or something like that, not to mention time and quiet space to actually doit. I might be able to pull something together in the next couple of weeks; I'll keep you posted.
ETA: I still have to post a recording of the song I wrote,"Green Street," which I may do via digital camera in video mode and post on Photobucket or Myspace. So much to do! I wouldn't sleep, but I need to sometimes :)

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hey Indiana, I SEE you!! :lol:

We are on no timeline for this project. It might take all spring, depending on who all decides to participate and how much time they need to practice until they are comfortable with their segment.

Do you play acoustic? If you do, then yes, you will need a microphone of some type, but even the cheapest ones will suffice, like a $10-$15 PC mic. Maybe they can be had for even less than that, I don't know.

If it's an acoustic-electric or an electric, you can record directly into the computer with a cable, no mic needed.

While your laptop is on the mend, maybe you can play around with the backing track (I edited my post above to give more info about the flash tool and the C Major Pentatonic boxes, so you might want to re-check that, if that's new info to you).

Glad you have an interest in participating! :D

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

AND, there is NO timeline for this jam. We can take as looong as we want.

Margaret

That is a huge help, for reasons already stated.

ReplyQuote
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

Hey Indiana, I SEE you!! :lol:
I knew I wasn't quick enough! ;)
While your laptop is on the mend, maybe you can play around with the backing track (I edited my post above to give more info about the flash tool and the C Major Pentatonic boxes, so you might want to re-check that, if that's new info to you).

Margaret

Truoble with my laptop is that the PC I'm using now for internet has crappy little speakers that I can barely hear, and it's stuffed into a corner of our tiny house, where I can't fit my git! All the more reason to get the laptop fixed, which should be within the week, the good Lord willin' and the creeks don't rise! Meanwhile, off to practice the Major Pentatonic.

ReplyQuote
(@wideawake)
Trusted Member

Maybe your laptop is shutting itself down due to heat? I know mine does it now and again when pushing it too far :o

You sing in praise of suicide, we know you're useless, like cops at the scene of the crime.

The sky is a landfill.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

For anyone who might like to play around with the backing track mentioned above, here is a great tool from GN member Misanthrope. It shows you the box positions on the fretboard for the pentatonic scales:

http://www.chordsandscales.co.uk/tools/pentatonic_scale_tool.exe
Thanks Margaret :)

There's also a Mac executable version:
http://www.chordsandscales.co.uk/tools/pentatonic_scale_tool.hqx

... and an online version:
http://www.chordsandscales.co.uk/tools/pentatonic_scale_tool.html

Fantastic idea, btw, I can see it being really popular too.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

I have the same problem. I haven't gotten my new computer yet so I'm not ready to record. But when I am, Ill take a look. Promise!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Margaret ... this is a cool idea you have here. I'm not a beginner to advanced beginner but curiousity got the better of me. The track is at a nice slow tempo and you explain everything well. This should be a good tool for a lot of people to use. 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Glad you all like this idea!

Since we have quite a few players interested, we'll probably be doing more than one mix of this jam. So don't be discouraged if you see, over on the Collaborations and Jams thread for the Jam Incubator, that the slots fill up. We'll just open up a second version.

:D

Margaret

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5