Cattle Call for Beginner Guitarists

62 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
12 K Views
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

I haven't participated in a jam before.

And I'd like to consider myself an advanced beginner.

So hopefully I qualify. Although at the moment my computer refuses to record my guitar without an extreme amount of buzzing and I don't really have the time, but seeing as you said it can wait, I'll leave it for a bit.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

TimeZone, GoodVicHunting and Boogie have committed to three slots on the first version of the jam, over on the thread in the Online Jams Forum.

Here's what I'm thinking.....since UrbanCowgirl spoke up first (in the wee hours of the morning last night) how about if I put her in for the one remaining slot on that first version of the jam.

Indiana Jonesin, PearltheKat, Rahul and Clazon are all working out computer issues in prep for recording, so I'll list those four as the 2nd version of the jam.

Fair enough?

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

In that case, shotgun 0.58 to 1.40 ish.

Player 2 I think. :D

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

In that case, shotgun 0.58 to 1.40 ish.

Player 2 I think. :D

Consider it done. Welcome aboard! :D

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

TimeZone, GoodVicHunting and Boogie have committed to three slots on the first version of the jam, over on the thread in the Online Jams Forum.

Here's what I'm thinking.....since UrbanCowgirl spoke up first (in the wee hours of the morning last night) how about if I put her in for the one remaining slot on that first version of the jam.

Indiana Jonesin, PearltheKat, Rahul and Clazon are all working out computer issues in prep for recording, so I'll list those four as the 2nd version of the jam.

Fair enough?

Margaret
Works for me.
Eep! I have to practice now.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member

love to get involved sounds like fun but what do i need to record is there special mic's ect

ReplyQuote
(@prblack)
Eminent Member

:lol: Me! Me! I'd love to participate!

prblack

ReplyQuote
(@prblack)
Eminent Member

:( Arrggh! Can someone send me the backing track as a mp3? I can't seemto download the file off Soundclick for some reason.

Pauline

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

:( Arrggh! Can someone send me the backing track as a mp3? I can't seemto download the file off Soundclick for some reason.

Pauline

PRB, I put you in for a slot on Team 3, which is now filled. Just need to sort out between you and Dogbite which slot (1 vs 4) you each want. Glad you're joining in!

I can email you the BT. Maybe I need to change something at the Soundclick page to allow downloads, or maybe it requires you to have a Soundclick account in order to download something.

In any case, PM me your email addy and I'll ship it over to you straightaway. [edit: If the email addy in your profile is current you should receive the BT soon]

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member

no more room in the inn guess you didnt hear the doorbell

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Oops! I'm so sorry Frank! I missed your post the first time through. :oops:

Easy solution, we'll just open Team 4. :lol:

Which segment would you like?

If you play acoustic, you'll need a mic, but folks say a cheap PC mic for $10-15 works. If you play acoustic-electric or electric, you can record directly into your computer's soundcard with a cable. What do you play?

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've only ever participated in one jam so far - do I qualify?

I'd like to get back in to the swing of things, there's been a few jams where I've downloaded the backing track and played over it, and then been glad I didn't participate.....

My strong point - I think - is rhythm, somehow I can hear these fabulous lead tracks in my head but then I can't seem to get them translated to my fingers....I have got to start playing more lead....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member

Oops! I'm so sorry Frank! I missed your post the first time through. :oops:

Easy solution, we'll just open Team 4. :lol:

Which segment would you like?

If you play acoustic, you'll need a mic, but folks say a cheap PC mic for $10-15 works. If you play acoustic-electric or electric, you can record directly into your computer's soundcard with a cable. What do you play?

Margaret

breakfast is cheep :lol: no prob no worries
i have been playing acoustic but just bought an electric yesterday how do u record directly and which mic do you suggest
cheers F

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Count me in on Team 4 please. I'll take any slot open. :D
Expect the last... :lol:

Don

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Boxboy and Vic, you've just joined Team 4 with Frank2121. Welcome to all three of you!

Frank, I am going to consult our GN experts as to a recommendation for a microphone if you want to mic your acoustic. [AHEM, any experts reading this??]

If you plan to record with your electric, you don't necessarily need a microphone, but you do need some sort of pre-amp, either a practice amp or a V-amp2, or something similar.

I will also get some instructions posted for how one goes about hooking up into the computer soundcard to record. This is where our "phone a friend" option is going to come in handy. :twisted:

In the meantime, you can download the backing track and start playing around with it. If you can't download the BT, PM me with your email address and I'll email you the mp3.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5