Notifications
Clear all

Changing To C Major

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@mjt1111)
Topic starter  

I was just wondering what the best way to change to a C major chord was?? The way I change, at the moment, is by putting index finger down first, then middle finger and then ring finger, is it easier to change by putting middle finger down first and then the other two??. Or is it just a case of personal preference?? Thanks in advance.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Generally, you want to put all down together, although there are times when you need to consider the chord that you're coming from and how you're going to play the chord.
If you're moving to C from a D7, for example, it's no contest, you already have the index finger in place, so you only have to move the other two.
The rules change slightly if you're finger picking, because you very often start with the lowest tone in the chord, so it's important to have the ring finger on the A string as soon as possible and give the other fingers a little bit more time to get where they're going.

Don't get bogged down in dogma - there is NO right way for all occasions. There is, however, a best way for you for each occasion. Do whatever feels best to you in any given situation.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

What he said (but I wouldn't have used the word "dogma")

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member

I started out fingering in the same sequence you do, which is with the index finger leading. You can certainly get away with it if you are changing chords at a fairly easy pace or not hitting the bass note on the “A”.

Eventually you will benefit from moving the hand as a unit. Try a slow simple pattern where you move from Em to C to Am to C etc. Keep the fingers common to each chord planted when switching. When you have this down and can do it without looking at the fretboard, throw in a G or D after the C. Go as slow as you have to. Repetition is the key.

For more fun try a simple G, C,D song like Leavin On a Jet Plane or Molly's Lips.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

"Molly's Lips" Just listened to it. I think that one rates up there as one of the easiest songs to play. Only G & C.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote