Clear all

Trem setup problems

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@thedonutman)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So ive got a ibanez RG170, and its got a floating tremolo.

I decided to get some new strings and i got the regular d'addario 10-46s,

now, ive just realised that they are heavier than the ones i had before which were probably 9s.

now the problem is, the bridge isnt parralel to the body anymore.

Ive tried screwing in the trem into the body some more(at the back), it helps a bit but its not enough.

so, what on earth do i do? do i put another spring in? there are 6 holes on the bridge at the back and 5 on the trem claw, the 2 current springs are in a arrow formation, and because i have a even number of holes i cant put another spring in the middle, which side should i put it on?

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Is the spring claw all the way against the body? Generally you can get away with moving up one size. If its not against the body, sometimes if you go back and loosen the strings alittle and try re-adjusting in small amounts you can get it to come around. Then start over making the transition over it may work out. If you install another spring it will take more force to use. It also put an add stress on the guitar.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

so, what on earth do i do? do i put another spring in? there are 6 holes on the bridge at the back and 5 on the trem claw, the 2 current springs are in a arrow formation, and because i have a even number of holes i cant put another spring in the middle, which side should i put it on?Do get them even across the whole assembly, as / or | | for two springs, / | or | | | for three. (My "ASCII art" probably isn't all that helpful, right?)
Try Joe's suggestion, then if you end up adding a spring, the diagrams on page 2 here will give you some guidance: http://www.ibanez.com/support/manuals/guitars_basses.pdf

Also ran across some other interesting stuff here: http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/bridge_body/electric/ts30aki/ts30aki.html . Beware of rocketing screwdrivers!

ReplyQuote
(@thedonutman)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ive tried screwing in the trem screws, they are very tight but not up against the body yet.

anyway, whats wrong with having a bridge that isnt parrallel?

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Ive tried screwing in the trem screws, they are very tight but not up against the body yet.

anyway, whats wrong with having a bridge that isnt parrallel?It's giving you a higher action (more noticable at the higher frets). Press it down to be parallel with your hand and see how much better the action would be if you fix it.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@thedonutman)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

damn, ive broken my top E string tuning and detuning to check the bridge

i give up, im going to buy a pack of light guage ones again, either that or im going to be playing a 5 stringed guitar with high action for a while

ReplyQuote