Clear all

Cheaters

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@j-rock)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm trying to learn Summer of '69. I've got it down pretty much except for the fact that there is a B flat in it which is a barre chord. I'm at the point where playing a chord that's not quite right is better than playing a buzzy crappy sounding barre chord. Does anyone know an easier version of a Bb.

I can look back with a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent.

(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

To make a chord you need 3 notes, the first third and fifth. For a Bb major chord this would be Bb, D and F. For a Bb minor it would be Bb Db and F. So just find these notes on the fretboard to get a version that should be easier to play. For example you could play something like 1 1 0 x x x or 1 1 0 3 x x for Bbmaj. For Bbmin you could do x 1 3 3 2 x. Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

You can also play most of the notes of the notes of the Bb barre without actually making a barre. Play X 1 3 3 3 X with the index finger just holding the A string first fret, then either mute or miss out that high e string (both muting and missing would be best). This form might help you build strength for that full barre later.

ReplyQuote
(@redman)

You could also play it as XX3331. It's a common way to play it if you are not yet comfortable with forming barres.

Redman

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

All very good advice. You could also just make this your barre-practicing song. There are two ways to play Bb as barre:

[x 1 3 3 3 1] or variation [x 1 3 3 3 x]
[6 8 8 7 6 6]

The E-shaped one is easier because it is higher up on the neck. Practice this for a week or so, and you'll get it no prob. ANd once you've mastered this one literally thousands of songs await to be played.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

There is a song I was given by my instructor (Scargorough Fair) that has a Bb.
The fingering I use for that is XX0331
The Bb in this song is preceded by a Dmin and followed by an F so chord changes with this fingering are pretty easy.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Since we're talking about cheating, you could always change the song to a key that have more friendly chords.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote